News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear Leaf Spring Mounting Retainers and Insulators

Started by KYBlueOval, 2015-11-23 19:08

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm putting a parts order together and I have a question about the rear spring retainers and insulators. When I purchased my Ranchero, it came with a '55/'56 Ford rear end under it and had retainers and insulators between the shock mounting/U Bolt plate and the spring. There was not a set on top of the spring. I now have a 9 inch and I'm getting parts lined up to install it.
As I read the Concourse Parts book regarding these parts, there is a note saying that some '57's had these and some did not.  What is the purpose of these insulators and retainers? So, do I need them? Do I need them top and bottom?

B.T.W., Concourse Parts has a 10% off sale on through Dec.6th and free shipping on orders of $500.00 or more. The free freight does NOT apply to over sized parts like sway bars.

hiball3985

Look at the size of the hole on the rear end spring mounting surface. If it's the large hole you will need the insulators, small hole that is the same size as the spring bolt you won't. 
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Yes, you need them. Aside from what little cush the 3/16 or so of rubber provides, what locates your rear end is the pin in the springs locating in the hole on the axle's spring perch. The metal retainer and the rubber insulator combine to make the pin fit in the hole snugly.
Classic auto parts in OK City was quite a bit cheaper on these parts than Concourse. A month or so ago, I was in OK City and picked up the last metal retainer they had, but he said they would probably have more in in a week or so.
If you're putting together a big shoping list, I'd do some price comparison with Classic before I ordered from Concorse. I could tell from the tooling marks on the pieces, btw, the classic part was made by the same mfg as Concorse.
I'd have to check back, but if you're ordering new shackles as well, there is a problem with the listing on the classic Auto Parts website/catalog. They list the shackle in two places, but one of the listings is in fact the front bushing, not a shackle.
I held the spring, insulators, retainers together with a velcro strap..just pulled it out before the ubolts were tightened.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

I just read Jim's post that he did while I was typing mine...apparently once again we run into variations.

KYBlueOval

Well guys, I appreciate the responses as always. As I stated, the '55/'56 Ford rear end ( That is for sale! ) that I removed had one retainer and insulator. A close look and I find it has the large hole in the mounting pad, thus the need for the retainer and insulator. A close look of the '59 rear end I'm going to use, and I find the small locating hole just as Hiball said I might find. I'm a happy camper..........I just saved $80.00 + . Thank you both!

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-11-24 06:31
Well guys, I appreciate the responses as always. As I stated, the '55/'56 Ford rear end ( That is for sale! ) that I removed had one retainer and insulator. A close look and I find it has the large hole in the mounting pad, thus the need for the retainer and insulator. A close look of the '59 rear end I'm going to use, and I find the small locating hole just as Hiball said I might find. I'm a happy camper..........I just saved $80.00 + . Thank you both!
You may to spend some of that $80 on new U bolts. I think without the pads you may be short on threads? I guess you could cut some more?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2015-11-23 19:52
I just read Jim's post that he did while I was typing mine...apparently once again we run into variations.
I don't know if there was any variation in the 57's, but did change in later years but I'm not sure when 58, 59 ?
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

My bad...forgot that he was using a '59 differential.

hiball3985

As an after thought I wish I had made some small adapters to eliminate the insulator..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-11-24 06:44
You may to spend some of that $80 on new U bolts. I think without the pads you may be short on threads? I guess you could cut some more?
Jim, new U bolts will be used. I kept one rusty one from the '59 that gave up the rear end so I could get the correct size.
Thanks again for your knowledge sharing. I appreciate it very much. Hope you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
John

hiball3985

Same to you John and all our other members  :turkey:
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang