News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

tri power

Started by wolfpupsdad, 2008-04-20 12:17

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfpupsdad

i'm seriously thinking of adding a OEM style 406 tri power set up to my 390. anyone ran this set up???? and is it worth it other then that old school look. any comments appreciated

JimNolan

Yes, I have a comment. It would look really cool. I'm the first to say go for it. But for me, I'm lucking to get 1 brand new 4 barrel to work right. What would be my chances of getting 3 carburators to work right. Jim
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

wolfpupsdad

thats my luck to jim, only tri power i ever had was on a flat head, 3 strombergs and they were a bitch to keep running right.
maybe i'd be better off to plug off the front and rear and run only on the center carb , lol.

4banger

My tri-power works great on my 427 fe. If you look in the gallery, I have the air cleaner of the 2x4 looking set up. Since the picture was takin, I run 3 seperate air cleaners. They work good, and you can feel it when they kick in. Nothing better.

4banger

As for Mr. Nolan, I still think your advance in your dist. isn't working right. Check to see if a weight spring came off or broke , advance sticking. But then ,what do I know !!!!

shopratwoody

I ran the 406 tri power. It was fun and not too difficult at the time. The center carb
is the normal one with power valve and all and the end two were just dump carbs.
Not bad but I always preferred the 427 dual four barrells. Ran the low riser manafold
in the beginning which was fine. Switched to the tunnel wedge manifold when drag
racing and never went back. I like the looks of a Ford air cleaner on a Ford engine, kinda
a period correct piece.
Good Luck with your project. Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

JimNolan

4banger,
    I wish you had been right. I hooked my vacuum pump ( that I use for air conditioning, 26 inchs ) to the vaccum advance of my distributor. 26inchs rasied the rpm about 500 rpm. Not 1400rpm.
    I also decreased the timing to top dead center ( takes care of mechanical advance ) and it only brought the idle down to 900. The weight springs were checked also. They're fine.
    There's a bunch of posts in the mustang forums that talk about the Holley Avenger carbs having thottle plates off center and sometimes sticking. I really believe this is my problem. The next time it happens it's gone. My patience has worn too thin on this problem. Jim

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

cool57

Quote from: wolfpupsdad on 2008-04-20 12:17
i'm seriously thinking of adding a OEM style 406 tri power set up to my 390. anyone ran this set up???? and is it worth it other then that old school look. any comments appreciated
SixShooter For Ford FE Engines:
Multicarburetor/ air cleaner kit to suit all Ford FE-series engines from 332 to 428 cubic inches

Ford Blue blood

Ran the 406 tri-power on my 360 F-100 for years.  Actually increased mileage over the stock 2bbl set up.  Jetted the center down a couple and the end two down 4.  Used a unisyn to set the carbs and idle and forgot about it.  Just waiting for the retractible to be finished to run again......and yes it was worth the effort to get them right!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II