News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake lights

Started by JimNolan, 2015-12-04 12:51

Previous topic - Next topic

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-14 06:11
Rich, Jim Nolan and hiball3985 and anyone else on the Forum.........a  couple of questions for you on shocks, as y'all have done the research to date. From what I've researched, Bilstein does not have front shocks for '57 Fords. Is that correct? Or is there another application  for which Bilstein has a listing ? I looked at QA-1 as well and they have no listings either.
Rear Shocks. I looked up the Monroe #31125 '55/'56 Ford Fairlane Shocks and the Monroe listing makes no mention of  Sedan ,Wagon etc.. One size fits all, I guess. So do I assume  ( dangerous word, I know ) that since Monroe does not differentiate between models within those years, that this 31125 shock will "work" ,on my Ranchero, as Jim Nolan has described.
As usual, any input would be greatly appreciated, as I'm ready to buy shocks.
Thanks
John
I never found a listing for Bilstien either. The Monroe shock listed for the rears is for a 55/56 passenger car and won't work on the Ranchero, the top mounting on the Ranchero is different. I'm using Gabreils on the rear.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-14 06:57
I never found a listing for Bilstien either. The Monroe shock listed for the rears is for a 55/56 passenger car and won't work on the Ranchero, the top mounting on the Ranchero is different. I'm using Gabreils on the rear.
Thanks Jim. Might you be able to tell me a part number or is it whatever Gabriel has listed for Rancheros?
John

KYBlueOval

Jim , I just went to the Gabriel Website, and today there is no listing for rear shocks for Wagons/ Sedan Deliveries. Rancheros are not even listed in drop down. If you have a Gabriel Part # it would be greatly appreciated.
John

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-14 07:39
Thanks Jim. Might you be able to tell me a part number or is it whatever Gabriel has listed for Rancheros?
John
Sorry John, I usually don't keep part numbers for items like this, just what ever Gabriel lists for Ranchero/Wagons
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

hiball3985

Quote from: KYBlueOval on 2015-12-14 07:46
Jim , I just went to the Gabriel Website, and today there is no listing for rear shocks for Wagons/ Sedan Deliveries. Rancheros are not even listed in drop down. If you have a Gabriel Part # it would be greatly appreciated.
John
I got mine from this guy on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-58-Ford-Ranchero-Skyliner-Station-Wagon-Gabriel-rear-shocks-absorbers-Pair-/161916847398?fits=Year%3A1957|Make%3AFord|Model%3ARanchero&hash=item25b2ff0526:g:Ak4AAOSwf-VWbUAv&vxp=mtr
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

KYBlueOval

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-14 08:00
I got mine from this guy on Ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/57-58-Ford-Ranchero-Skyliner-Station-Wagon-Gabriel-rear-shocks-absorbers-Pair-/161916847398?fits=Year%3A1957|Make%3AFord|Model%3ARanchero&hash=item25b2ff0526:g:Ak4AAOSwf-VWbUAv&vxp=mtr
Jim, I think I'll start a new post and see if there are any options. I'm sure what you are using will work as they no doubt working for you, but who knows what others might have come up with.
Thanks again
John

JimNolan

Just one more bit of information on the Monroe 31125 rear shock absorber. I never really witnessed the extent that the shock could be compressed. I knew for a fact it would drop your tire down to make changing it effortlessly. But, this summer I put slicks on it and collapsed the shocks far enough that the driveshaft got into the body of the car. I'm using a 4" driveshaft but still, the fit of this shock on a 57 shouldn't need to be questioned.
Those Monroe air shocks I just bought have extended and collapsed specs that are similar to the 31125 but they would get into my exhaust pipes because they are too big in diameter. Wish I'd found them before I had the exhaust system made.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

Check out these Bilstein's AK 1053 front shocks... I have seen them listed for '57 Fords in the past. They are what I am going to use to replace the KYB's I have now.
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bsn-ak1053/overview/
Lynn

hiball3985

Interesting, I don't know why they didn't come up in my searches, maybe because they aren't 57 specific. I don't understand the valving numbers in the notes? I sure don't want a drag race type shock.
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

These are not drag shocks as far as I know. Google PST suspension, they list Bilsteins for the front and rear on "57 Ford Fairlane 500's".
Lynn

hiball3985

Thanks Lynn, I'll check that out..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

JimNolan

Bilstein doesn't list the AK1053 on their website. But, the collapsed and extended lengths are about the same as the KG4515's. Let me know if the fork mount fit's the 57 at the bottom. These washers I have on mine is bothering me. I usually don't put up with using bailing wire to fix my car. That's what it feels like I'm doing with the KYB KG4515's.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

lalessi1

It may be a while on the Bilsteins, I have KYB 343127 on the front now and they are OK, but I am looking to upgrade. Down on my "never ending" list.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: JimNolan on 2015-12-15 08:26
Bilstein doesn't list the AK1053 on their website. But, the collapsed and extended lengths are about the same as the KG4515's. Let me know if the fork mount fit's the 57 at the bottom. These washers I have on mine is bothering me. I usually don't put up with using bailing wire to fix my car. That's what it feels like I'm doing with the KYB KG4515's.
Agreed, not the best type of mounting but I have seen lots of cars over the years that mount the same way with washers. I was thinking of using a small piece of channel shaped steel rather then the washer, it's on the list. Unfortunately we can't always find exact replacement parts..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang