News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Question about 14k mile Ranch Wagon details on ebay

Started by MrArt2u, 2015-12-07 12:23

Previous topic - Next topic

MrArt2u

Hey guys,

We're going to be re-spraying our Country Sedan Cumberland Green and Colonial White so we've been scouring the web for good pictures of the combination. I came across this Ranch Wagon on ebay that they claim, well, "believe to", only have 14,000 original miles and is all stock despite a repaint, I guess. Anyhow, my question is regarding the splash panel between the front bumper and the grill. On this "original" car it is painted silver/grey. Is that original or should it be painted the lower body color? A google image search shows body color and silver/grey painted panels.

Here's the ebay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252194662800?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Oh, and sorry if this has been answered in the past, I tried a search but didn't exactly know what the panel was called.
Cheers,
Art.

RICH MUISE

x2 on the Argent if you want it oem. Many prefer the body color if oem is not a concern.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

MrArt2u

Ah, the old Argent Silver. Boy, that color gets around! I'm leaning towards body color right now, too many colors on the palette otherwise between the green, white, chrome trim and gold inserts.
Thanks!

RICH MUISE

Exactly....imho, on a 2 tone, the body color that is the one where the splash pan meets the fender will give a cleaner look.
pic of mine w/ body color
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57chero

I prefer the factory silver look myself .

SkylinerRon

X2 on the Argent.
Painted body color makes it look like a repaint no matter
how good the job....

Ron.

djfordmanjack

I am not so keen on that silver splash panel. Prefer body color, especially on a slightly customized car. If restored to og condition it should be silver, though.
A thought about that 'all original' 14k survivor. as original as it can be with an added roof rack, chromed wire wheels and fur carpet in the rear cargo area... :icon_cyclops_ani: sellers should consider what they claim.
still a great car .

hiball3985

I always laugh at this Argent color. I don't know why auto manufactures started using that name, possibly to distinguish it from a true silver?  "Argent"  isn't just a Ford color. It is simply the French word for silver. There have been a gadzillion shades of Argent used over the years by GM, Chrysler and I'm sure others. Ford has also used numerous shades over the years..

Mine was painted the body color by the previous owner and I will change it someday.. 
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

lalessi1

Not only was it Argent Silver, it was a satin finish (as I remember). I actually prefer the car like that. I used a Duplicolor base coat that dries with a what I like to think is the "correct" sheen.
Lynn

hiball3985

It is a satin finish, I used it on my air cleaner, same color as the splash pan.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

junior58

Mine is silver (Argent?). Have to agree on the use of "Argent" to describe any shade of silver. I work at Ford dealership here in NZ and it seems that the term "Argent" is used to describe any shade of silver that is used as a highlight colour, such as in bumper inserts or body moulding inserts. I dropped a Territory bumper insert off to a painter we use and said "paint it Argent". It came back almost gun metal grey, so now I refrain from using "Argent" to describe silver.
Steve McKnight
57 Fords International - NZ chapter

suede57ford

I prefer argent as well.  A silver valance is a characteristic of the '57 Ford styling and a painted one usually makes me think the people restoring didn't know what they were doing.

A light silver is not hard to find.  Late model Hondas have a really comparable, but cleaner looking silver.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

thomasso

Every brochure I have shows Argent on all models.  I'd say the body color ones were a product of lazy repainters.  Eastwood has a good wheel argent. Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

rmk57

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2015-12-08 07:21
I always laugh at this Argent color. I don't know why auto manufactures started using that name, possibly to distinguish it from a true silver?  "Argent"  isn't just a Ford color. It is simply the French word for silver. There have been a gadzillion shades of Argent used over the years by GM, Chrysler and I'm sure others. Ford has also used numerous shades over the years..

Mine was painted the body color by the previous owner and I will change it someday..

They were also a great rock band from the late 60's early 70's, known for the hit song "hold your head up".

I like the argent splash panel look myself.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429