News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

E CODE INDUCTION

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2015-01-30 07:06

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

Wow, that sounds like a hot engine ! What transmission did you use in the heavy Skyliner, Ron?
Jay, it'd be great to get these heat shields from you, we'll talk about that in email. they all got discarded on my engines during earlier rebuilds probably. all my engines had exhaust manifolds still on, none of them had the shields.
We'll take the Volkswagen or the Mercedes then or you will have to wait a year until my Wagon get's roadworthy :002:
No emberassment with my friends here, they are all car crazy or other lunatics anyways  :003:

SkylinerRon

Had the med. duty Fordo and 3.89 rear. (clearance problems prevented using the h-d Lincoln unit w/the X frame).
Couldn't afford a 4.57 at the time so I ran D70x14's @ 37psi on the rear.
Had to service the trans every other month or so.
The car had so much weight on the back it wouldn't spin the tires.
Wish we would have had hi-stall converters back then.
Was a bear from a 10-20 mph roll too.

Ron.

suede57ford

Jay,

It seems like the Trash Can filter was what was originally used.  Fords replacement for the Trash Can style was the ones like the 406/427's used. Some of the 427 type filters had larger fittings.  Both types of filter use the same replaceable element inside.  You can still buy the element at napa today as well as new f-code air filter elements.

I suppose back in the day, when they did a tune-up or service the Trash Can style got replaced with the smoother replacement style.   

Some of the E-Code guys may know better.

I still have a complete E-Code passenger car set-up like in the auction.   My carbs need some work as it seemed one booster was melted.  I assume they had a carb fire and pulled them off.   My first e-code manifold I ever bought was also off a car that caught on fire.   One afternoon I noticed I had the bubble on my original style air filter that got browned from an apparent small fire on a hot day as well.  No other damage I could see.  Still ran fine.

I hear the key to keeping an E-code from catching fire, is to keep a good fresh kit in them.  If the accelerator pump diaphragm goes bad, they can "lean pop" back through the carbs and start a fire.   I had progressive linkage on E-code set-up.  It was very reliable, smooth running, and got decent mileage.  Street performance was good on a motor with an Isky 300 cam, mild port job, and headers.

Once I got into to the F-code style motors with superchargers, I have never been back to dual quads.  Blower cars are so responsive, its hard to compare with a naturally aspirated set-up.

There is really good information on setting up a dual quad with tea-pots set-up on Ted Eaton's website.  He really has them figured out.
57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

Ecode70D

Pat
     Thanks for that information on the filters.  You actually answered my second question before I asked it because I was wondering if they ran with progressive linkage.  That's what I have on mine with the back one as the driving carburetor.   
     There was a Chxxx guy at a car cruise that told me that it should be running straight linkage or I would starve my front cylinders.  I tried to tell him that the forward two barrels/venturis on the back carburetor are sort of centered on the engine with this Ford intake. 
      There aren't many 57 Fords around this area of Mass and I never get to see an unmolested E setup.  I will check into that Ted Eaton site and try to learn something. 
       At  this time of my life a real E air cleaner is out of my reach unless I get real lucky.       

thomasso

I know I'm way late on this reply but am a relatively new to the site.  The correct E code fuel filter is the Garbage can.  The one shown is the parts department replacement.  Many garbage cans were crushed with pliers by gas station mechanics and they were also prone to corrosion.  Repo garbage cans are available.  Used or repos are around $300
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ray

I restored and drove an E-code retractable for years. Never had any problems but always carried a fire extinguisher just in case. I've always been under the impression that most carb fires on them were because of weak ignition. I am currently restoring an E convertible. I think I'll use a solid state system this time, all that shows is one extra wire. I have pictures of the retrac. I try to scan them and share. That set-up was correct. When I assemble the current one I post photos.
Willow Green 57 convert
Coral Sand over Gunmetal 57 "E" convert
"M" code 1969 Fairlane Ranchero
"Q" code 1969 Torino Cobra jet (427)
Inca Gold 57 Thunderbird

thomasso

Progressive linkage on a dual 4 set up.  Bad idea. He was right.  The manifold was never designed to work that way.  You'll still get terrible gas mileage and may damage the engine.  Tom.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

Ecode70D

Tom
    I did change them to straight linkage and kept them that way.  It was run for just a short period of time with the progressive last year when I was setting the car up.  Jay