News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

storing for winter

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2016-01-19 11:03

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

it may have been brought up already,  but i havn't seen it, so,   when storing with a full gas tank,  has any one used the stuff called   "sta-bil ethanol treatment?,   if its good stuff,  i'll use it in all the things  i have,  cars, lawnmowers etc,  thanks    jerry            let me add,  years ago there use to be some stuff that u used in winter for water in the gas tanks,  could this be the same thing?,   if it can be found,  be alot cheaper.

rmk57

The only thing I do for storage is run the carburetor dry. Not sure why I even do that, the crappy gas we have now a days evaporates pretty fast from just sitting anyway.
I think if you leave gas exposed to the atmosphere it has a couple month shelf life. But if its sealed somewhat in a gas tank it should last a few months.
I've never had a problem firing mine up in spring after a 5 month hibernation.

I've heard Methyl Hydrate is used to remove moisture from fuel lines, gas tanks. Not sure on what ratio to use though.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Lucky'57

Up here in the -30 stuff, as long I keep the tank(s) full to minimize the condensate, never had a problem. However, if running with the old steel lines in that temperature, a bottle of gas line antifreeze per tank is recommended. Amazing stuff, once a guy runs the mix through the carb as I do, I would think should be OK without running the carb dry.
If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you always got - Henry Ford (1863-1947)

RICH MUISE

That's what I use in my lawnmower and weed wacker. First time was last winter and it works great. I used the ethanol stabil year round this year after I had so much trouble with my equiptment in previous years. It really has helped keeping the powdery residue from building up on the carburators.
As for the car, only my initial 5 gallons of gas got it because I knew it would be months before it got used up.
They do make a number of variations of the stuff depending on whether your just looking for help with the ethanol or if your storing for the winter.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

John Palmer

I was a service manager in a motorsports dealership that sold thousands of vehicles per year.  The two largest service related problems we dealt with were, stale gas causing plugged idle jets, and dead (sulfated) batteries.  Both of these are related to vehicle storage, and inactivity.  The smaller displacement engines (smaller idle circuits) had most of the fuel problems.  For example, Honda suggests in their generator owners manuals that you pour out any fuel that will not be used in two months.  It's not practical to pour out and dispose of stale gas today, it's much easier to use a fuel stabilizer product.  Sta-Bil is a good product, and yes they sell different kinds.  We always used the red for treatment.  This is a preventative type product, NOT a cure for already gummed up engines.

The second problem is with stored lead acid batteries.  They need to be connected to a battery maintainer 24/7 and be stored and maintained at full charge.  You can buy generic 12v battery maintainers at any good electronics store for just over $30. and they will extend the life of your batteries many times.  You need the larger 2.5MA maintainers, not the .25MA size that Harbor Freight sells for $5.  A battery maintainer is a type of smart charger and has a voltage regulator to cycle it on/off depending on the state of the batteries charge.

These will save you hundreds of dollars on your camp generators/jet ski's/ATV's/lawnmowers/boat motors/M/C's/UTV's, and yes it also works on your 1957 Ford.

JPotter57

Winter down here lasts about a week and a half.  I saw a guy cutting his grass day before yesterday on the way home from work.  I love the South.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

lalessi1

I wasn't gonna say that.... :002: Did mine last week...
Lynn