News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Alignment specs needed

Started by kens65fb, 2016-02-18 18:04

Previous topic - Next topic

kens65fb

I'm going to have the front end aligned tomorrow as the Ranchero is finally ready to road test.
The front end consists of Dropem & Stopem 2 1/2 inch drop spindle brake kit.
ST Fabrications R&P unit
225-50-17 tires.

What would be the best specs to use for front end alignment.

lalessi1

Factory specs are;
      Caster     1/2 - 1 degrees (positive)
      Camber   1/2 - 1 degrees (positive)
      Toe In     1/16-1/8 inches

In my opinion the car will corner and handle better with 1/2 - 1 degrees negative camber and as much positive caster as you can get 3-4 degrees (if possible). 1/16" toe in. Just my thoughts, that is what I am going to try when I get there.
Lynn

hiball3985

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2016-02-18 19:05
Factory specs are;
      Caster     1/2 - 1 degrees (positive)
      Camber   1/2 - 1 degrees (positive)
      Toe In     1/16-1/8 inches

In my opinion the car will corner and handle better with 1/2 - 1 degrees negative camber and as much positive caster as you can get 3-4 degrees (if possible). 1/16" toe in. Just my thoughts, that is what I am going to try when I get there.
"Camber   1/2 - 1 degrees (positive)"? Is that from the factory manual?
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

SkylinerRon

The factory settings decrease the effort required by manual steering.
Modern settings will increase handling quite a bit.

Ron.

kens65fb

Thanks, it's good to have the factory settings.
With the power rack & pinion setup, should the specs be tweaked, for better handling, or stick to the factory settings ??
For the guys out there who have installed the S&T Fabrications, what specs worked best for you.?
Thanks

lalessi1

The specs I gave you were from the factory manual. The camber was not actually specified as positive or negative, but I believe that positive camber was the common setting in older cars to even out tire wear for a loaded vehicles with bias ply tires.  With power R&P steering you want a lot of positive caster. The 57 Ford stock suspension won't let you adjust caster very much so get as much as you can. Positive caster increases steering effort AND straight line stability.
Lynn