News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Transmission CrossMember with Exhaust Humps?

Started by KYBlueOval, 2016-03-20 14:29

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I "think" I recall seeing a mention here on the Fourm about using a transmission cross member from a Lincoln, as it had "Humps" for the exhaust.  I want to say it was from a '88, but I do not recall what model, if it makes a difference.. Could be very wrong on the year. I've researched it here on the Forum, but found nothing.
So, who out there has knowledge about cross members with exhaust "Humps"?  What make car?  Year, model etc.. I could modify what I have, but I'd like to take a look at one that already has the humps............might be easier to male it fit.
Thanks
John

gasman826

Make one.  It was quicker and easier than thrashing around to find one and then still have to modify it.  With 3" exhaust, OEM cross member humps aren't enough anyway.  Three inch channel and 4x6x3/8" box structural steel.  4" of the box split down the 6" sides gives two 4" wide 3" deep humps with channel in the middle and ends.

John Palmer

Nice job.

I built the 2 1/2" exhaust for my 32 high boy using the "V-Band" clamps like yours, and I really liked the way they worked.

KYBlueOval

Quote from: gasman826 on 2016-03-20 18:21
Make one.  It was quicker and easier than thrashing around to find one and then still have to modify it.  With 3" exhaust, OEM cross member humps aren't enough anyway.  Three inch channel and 4x6x3/8" box structural steel.  4" of the box split down the 6" sides gives two 4" wide 3" deep humps with channel in the middle and ends.
Very Nice. I can do that!
Thanks
John

Wirenut

I used the trans crossmember from a 86 mercury grand marquis.
I too considered making mine but had access to a parts car mentioned above.
The LTD should be the same along the same years. Good luck.