News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

S & T Fabrications Rack LEAKS !!!

Started by kens65fb, 2016-03-09 12:50

Previous topic - Next topic

RICH MUISE

The 4960 was Gross vehicle weight, just like you see on truck trailers where they post the empty and fully loaded gross max veh. wt. , only with at least the MarkvIII, they didn't post the empty weight. That why I was surpised at the 3700 you found. I guess they're figuring 1260 lbs of passenger, luggage, and fuel.
The Marks only had one drivetrain, difference in Base and LS models was gear ratios and trim.
On the Cavalier rack..seems I read about the developement of these kits years back there was alot of looking for a rack that would work with our rear steer cars. Maybe the Cavalier was the best or only option that would fit. I forgot about Unisteer. I did check their website, they are offering kits for the '57's, but I don't know who's rack they're using. I'll see if I can remember to call them.
I too wish I had less turning radius, but I'm so far departed from driving a stock '57 I can't draw a comparison, other than the handling is a HUGE improvement over stock.
As long as we're discussing problems with the rack, the one thing that I don't like with it is the effort to return the car to going straight after a turn...anybody/everybody else having the same issue?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

JFYI...I just talked with Unisteer. The teckie there told me he believed the rack that they used was an Omni, and that it was modified to fit their kits. If their rack goes bad, it has to be returned to them for rebuild. I'll leave everyone to their own thoughts on that senario on what happens if the rack blows out on a road trip....particularly for those of us who are using the ps pump to power a hydroboost.

lalessi1

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2016-03-15 10:00
The 4960 was Gross vehicle weight, just like you see on truck trailers where they post the empty and fully loaded gross max veh. wt. , only with at least the MarkvIII, they didn't post the empty weight. That why I was surpised at the 3700 you found. I guess they're figuring 1260 lbs of passenger, luggage, and fuel.
The Marks only had one drivetrain, difference in Base and LS models was gear ratios and trim.
On the Cavalier rack..seems I read about the developement of these kits years back there was alot of looking for a rack that would work with our rear steer cars. Maybe the Cavalier was the best or only option that would fit. I forgot about Unisteer. I did check their website, they are offering kits for the '57's, but I don't know who's rack they're using. I'll see if I can remember to call them.
I too wish I had less turning radius, but I'm so far departed from driving a stock '57 I can't draw a comparison, other than the handling is a HUGE improvement over stock.
As long as we're discussing problems with the rack, the one thing that I don't like with it is the effort to return the car to going straight after a turn...anybody/everybody else having the same issue?

Rich, a while back there was some conversation about caster. Our cars have limited caster adjustment, but you want as much as you can get with R&P. Modern cars use as much as 5 to 6 degrees. This will center the steering. Don't know how yours was set and there may be another issue but that is something besides the turning radius that has me thinking Borgeson.
Lynn

gasman826

Other than the turning radius thing, mine drove great.  Easy, near effortless, stable steering with great road manners.  The steering sector seal will leak if the hoses are hooked up backwards.  I popped the seal immediately on the first rack.  I've one other one with sector seal leakage.  I asked the owner if they hooked the hoses backwards.  Yes, he did.  It didn't blow immediately but failed prematurely. 

The Corsica style rack was used because the Corsica tie rods were long similar to '57 tie rods to mimic the long swing arc of the lower control arm.  When I built mine, the rack was mounted to run the same plane as the OEM drag link.  The adopter plate that mounts to the rack and inner tie rods was made with the same inner tie rod spacing as the OEM drag link.  I have air bags and run the car at different ride heights with NO bump steer.  Without the power steering pump, racks turn very hard...much harder than power steering boxes.  I can barely turn mine without the engine running.  I have nearly four degrees positive caster and have no issues with returning to center after a turn but it will not do it by its self.

Wirenut

Rich, I understand what you mean regarding the gross weight. I was out in space cadet mode. You are right about the rack upgrade verses original driving feel. No turning back once you've had the rack for sure.

RICH MUISE

I'll have to did out the alignment sheet to see where my guy set the caster. He's pretty good with the old cars, but not sure how much experience he's had with old cars that have modified setups/racks.
Kerby, exactly, no turning back. The only considerations now are rack vs. Borgenson...not an option available way back when I bought my r & P.

kens65fb

Finally got the new replacement rack installed, removing and replacing the rack was easy, only took 45 minutes.
Went for a short ride, up and down the street, basically to check for leaks.
Bone dry  !!!
I will go around the block later this week to evaluate the steering, but I need to bleed the brakes, as they are spongy.
Thanks for all the help.

BBoswell

I'm going to throw in my two cents on R&P steering here at the end of the discussion. I had the Wurth-It Design rack conversion on both my Custom 300 and my Ranchero. Each had it own feel but both worked exceptional and are/were a pleasure to drive. My Ranchero actually steers better than my Silverado. The caster was set to stock settings and it worked like it should. I did notice a slight loss of turning radius but I could live with that to have the nice steering. My conversions used a Cavalier rack but I'm guessing it is very similar to the S&T unit.

kens65fb

I'm ready to scrap the S & T  unit.
The rack doesn't leak, but squeals sometimes, when just barely turning the wheel.
The squeal is not present when the car is not in motion
NEW, not rebuilt pump (69 Mustang)
New Belt  is tight.

Any suggestions?