News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Rear wheel opening modifications

Started by jvo, 2016-05-16 10:33

Previous topic - Next topic

jvo

I posted this in my project build, but I figured I would post it to general discussion in case some folks don't care about my project or read the posts.
Here are a couple pics of the side of the car with the door and quarter panel in place.  The quarter still needs to go forward about  3/8 of an inch.  There is only about 1/4 inch between the tire and the bottom of the wheel opening.  I will probably use smaller tires on the car when I choose the final size, probably some 60 series 15 inch and either 235 or 255, whatever might fit. The current tires here are for mock up, and are a bit big.  The back end of the car needs to go down a bit, but there is a lot of stuff to go on yet, as it is still just a shell. ( No gas tank, bumper, tailgate, etc. etc. etc.)  The mock ups are 255/70/R15 and are almost 29 inches tall.
With this little bit of clearance, does it make the tire hard to remove, or is it just a rubbing issue? 
Why do we change the front of the wheel opening?  I kind of like the factory wheel opening the way it is right now, and I don't want to change it if I don't have to. 
If its just a rubbing issue, then I will use smaller diameter tires to have enough clearance. 
What is the general consensus, and does anyone have any close up pics of before and after the wheel well modification is done? Thanks.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

RICH MUISE

One of our members, suede57(Pat Fleishman) told me about this mod years ago, and if I were in a build stage like you are it would definetly be done. It's a mod that solves your issue without hardly being noticeable. The bottom of the oem wheelwell opening you will notice curves back towards the tire. by pie-cutting the sheetmetal just in front of it, and rewelding, you can reform that bottom edge so it goes straight down. a subtle almost unnoticeable change that adds tire clearance.
Now, rereading your post, it sounds like you were aware of it and not wanting to do it. So, the best solutiuon to your problem is to narrow the rear end by 3/4 per side....if it still has the oem rear in it. I did on mine when I had the differential built to add Trac Loc, 31 spline axels, new gears, bearings and big bearing ends. I changed to Disc brakes also which helps the tire change issue. Backspacing on the wheels is tyhe critical thing here...I suspect the BS on the wheels in the pic is the culprit. I am running 235/70-15's on the back with just the mentioned mods. No sheetmetal changes were made. I have somwhere around 1 1/2 clearance to the fender lip, ans the next time I need tires I'll probably jump up to the 255 wide tires shown in your pic....only the differential case and proper backspace wheels being the difference.
If I remember correctly, a good backspace for these cars on the rear is 4.25".
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

JPotter57

Mine is straight up and down in front, so that 255X70X15 can fit without rubbing there.  It looks much better in my opinion.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JPotter57

here is a look, car has 275x60 on 8 inch wheel in this picture..junk tires, hence the red paint all over them, but you get the picture...
Old, loud, and fast.

KidKourier

jvo,  I tried this at my tire dealer to find the right size.My  Courier has the inner wheel well lip cut off for clearance so allow for this. All were BF Goodrich Radial TA'S mounted on AR Torque Thursts(3.75 bs)standard wheel well opening except for inner lip! First--255/70/15-looks just like in your pic but maybe an 1/8 clearance at sidewall--245/70/15-same issue not much change at front--235/70/15 --decent clearance at front and sidewall(I picked these)-225/70/15 will fit no problem-even with no trimming of inner wheel lip. KID KOURIER

jvo

Thanks for the info.  Rich, my rear has already been narrowed 3/4 inch each side, and that is probably why these tires just barely fit.  The mock up mags in the pic only have 3 1/2 inch back spacing.  So, with another inch of back spacing they would fit just fine, I think.
I am also replacing the inner wheel well, so it goes straight up from the wheel opening, instead of slanting slightly inwards like it was stock.  They were rusted a little there anyway, so it was an easy choice.
I have to stare at James' red car for a while.  I like the way the opening looks, but I also like the factory look, albeit the factory opening has an opposing line compared to the shape of the front of the tire.  The modified wheel opening follows the round shape of the tire better.  I'll have to meditate a bit on that, I guess.  Both look good to me.
If I could roll back the years, back when I was young and limber, loose as ashes in the wind, had no irons in the fire.... wish I'd done things different, but wishin' don't make it so. ( Ian Tyson)

wildhog

James, Your only problem is now your stainless steel fender skirts won't fit!!!! Bet you didn't think of that Buddy?
JUST A MIDNIGHT CRUISE DOWN THUNDER ROAD (TOM DRUMMOND MIDWEST DIRECTOR)

JPotter57

Aww, man...lol
Hey John, another reason my big tires fit is the custom backspacing.  The wheel in the pic on this side is a 15x8 with 4 7/8 backspacing.  It has a 275 60 15 on it.  The other side, for comparison sake, is a rare oem 15x7 wheel with a 255 70 15 on it, which I really, really like a lot.  I plan to run one of these two, likely the 255 70, as it completely flls the fender.  The 275 on the driver side is a little shorter, 28.1 inches tall compared to 29.3 on the 255 70.  Both do look good, particularly from the rear.  Hope to have my wheels blasted and recoated before long, so I can get new skins on them.  Had debated color, but once I saw Jim Nolans steelies painted argent, I knew that was the color I wanted on them.  Coupled with my 57 caps and stainless trim rings (81-86 Ford 150), the look is awesome.  Can't wait to get them on.
Old, loud, and fast.

gasman826

I've seen a magazine article on sectioning the rear wheel opening on a '57.  A lot of work but a subtle way to get clearance for 32" tires.

suede57ford

I just do a pie cut and take a little arch out of the front bend.  If done right it looks stock and proportional but allows taller tires.

My black sedan has a 31" tall tire on the back, and its pretty low.   My Ranch Wagon has a 30" tall tire as well.  My brother James ragtop has a 29" tire in the rear.   We always do it now, because you never know what wheel/tire combo you may want in the future.

I just do a 3/4"-1" pie-cut in the front arch where it folds back, move it ahead, and re-weld.  Doesn't take much time at all, and easy if you have any metal fab skills.    I have pictures, but I don't do photo bucket, so email is the only way for me to send pictures.

Another Tip is to re-drill the hole on the rear end to spring pad 1/2" to 3/4" ahead and that mover the rear end back slightly, so in combination with the pie cut, you can put big meats in the back.  When I did my black sedan, I had the leaf spring custom made with the bolt back like 5/8". and that helped with the 295/45/20's which are nearly 31" tall.

57 2dr Sedan, Black,VR57 Supercharged Y-block
57 T-bird, 460 C6
57 Ranchwagon, 5.0 AOD
57 Ranchero, VR57 Supercharged
57 Courier Delivery, 460 C6
57 2dr Sedan, Red/White
69 Mach1 428 R-Code
69 Talladega 428
69 Bronco 5.0
70 Torino Cobra SCJ 4spd,4:30 Drag Pak
34 Ford P.U. 427 Ford, 2-4s
69 Boss 429

JPotter57

Pat had suggested this to me yesars ago, and my fender is the result of his directions.  My end result will be the 255 70 15, which is a little over 29.3 inches tall...it clears nicely.
Old, loud, and fast.