News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Oil Pan Removal

Started by petew, 2016-05-24 14:17

Previous topic - Next topic

petew

I've been chasing an oil leak in my Country Sedan and have narrowed it down to the oil pan.
This after checking everything else like the valley pan, valve covers , distributor, crankcase vent assembly and the rear main seal.
Oil appears to be coming out of the rear of the pan ,finding its way in between the block and the dust cover before coming out the weep hole at the bottom of the dust cover . It is also collecting
around the base of the oil pump at the block. Oil pick up tube is dry at the pump.
So the question is will the pan come off of my 312 with the engine in the car ?

BWhitmore

It may not be the pan but the rear main seal that is leaking.

hiball3985

They come off but requires a little juggling. Sometimes the rear of the pan will hang up on the crank counter weights and will require turning the crank a little at a time until the pan will clear, it's a tight fit. It's been a long time since doing this but in the back of my old rusty memory I seem to recall having to remove the factory sway bar, but I won't bet on it..
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

petew

Thanks hiball , I recall with the FE motors if you put the timing to tdc that would put the crank counter weights up into the block allowing the pan to slide out. Perhaps the YBlock is the same.

Definately not the rear main seal , it is bone dry.

thomasso

Rear mains on 312s always leak.  The pan has to come off in any case and then you can better inspect the rear main area.  The seal is retained in its own fixture  and has side seals also. Seal holder is aluminum and have been known to crack, inspect carefully.  Iron holders are available.  I have tried the aftermarket neopreme seal unsuccessfully.  Good luck.
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.