News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Flatbed trailer

Started by rmk57, 2016-08-03 11:50

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

Looking for info on sizing or what everybody else is using to tow their 57 around. I'm looking for a basic flatbed open car hauler maybe 16 feet ?
A rough measurement a 57 custom is around 16' 4 ".
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

ragtop

How often are you going to use it I got rid of my car trailer it sat more than I used it every time I need it had to go throw brakes replace tire or two just not worth having one I just rent one when needed from u-hall they can keep it in shape and I don't have it setting around my last one was a 18 foot wood hall most cars even my 1957 lincoln 

JPotter57

you can use a 16 footer, but when I had my 16, the back tires of the 57 were on the dovetail to get the tongue weight right.  I bought a 20 footer and I love it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rmk57

Not sure I can use a dovetail as my parking area is kind of sloped and might drag a bit.

The 57 is the largest vehicle I would be towing along with an 70 mustang and 66 Bronco.

If I used it 10 times a year for 2 years it would pay for itself in uhaul rentals, at least thats the

way I'm trying to justify buying one.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

59meteor

10 times a year, ya gonna start racing now Randy? I have not owned an open trailer, as I went from a ramp truck to an enclosed trailer, but years ago I did use a few open trailers. A few considerations, with a 16 foot trailer, I imagine that the back of the 57 would likely stick out past the end of the trailer, could get ugly in a rear end collision. Also with a short trailer, positioning the car to obtain proper tongue weight may be a challange. A short trailer could also make it a bit tougher to tie the car down securely, if there is not adequate room to run the chains or straps fairly straight. Personally, if you have enough room, I would lean towards a 18 footer. A beavertail is nice, in that the ramps can be shorter (and lighter!), and makes the loading easier if the car has low clearance concerns.
And around here, car trailers hold there value pretty well, so resale value is generally good.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.