News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hand brake assembly

Started by Wirenut, 2016-09-04 07:35

Previous topic - Next topic

Wirenut

Can someone tell me if the handbrake cable is routed through a pulley beneath the car. I know one is mounted at the end of the handle tube but it looks as though it should have another below the firewall to reduce friction agains the body.

Ford Blue blood

No, it is inside a cable housing.  The cable housing is attached to the pulley/handle assembly, goes through the firewall at that point and is terminated at the transmission cross member.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Wirenut

Thanks for the reply, so the cable housing is routed just after it exits the fire wall along the lower floor pan.

RICH MUISE

Kerby.....I don't believe the cable housing is really attached to the floorpan other than   near the pulley and then the other end just where it clips on to the tranny  crossmember. It just kinda floats. At least that's how mine is done.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Wirenut

Thanks Rich, I need to locate my outer covering for the cable. I installed my parking brake handle and pulley assembly and my cable was attached to it. It did not seem right, I appreciate the photos, at least I know what the end looks like, it must be in a box here somewhere. Can't thank you guys enough for the help.

RICH MUISE

While you're looking for it, look for the special hold down bracket you can see in the 1st pic of the unit in the car. Unlike an electrical type clamp, this one has a lip on it that fits into the groove on the end piece that keeps the cable housing from shifting back and forth.
If you can't find it, I got my cable assembly from Dennis Carpenter.

Wirenut

RICH MUISE

I misspoke...I do have an additional clamp on the firewall. I have no idea if it is in an oem position or if there is one oem, but I do have one.

Wirenut

Thanks for the additional photo, I ordered a cable from Ecklers, they evidently own Dearborn and Mac's or something like that. Somebody bought out everybody it appears. I did find the bracket that is attached to the trans crossmember. I did not weld it to my modified crossmember for the AOD tranny. I'm afraid I goofed by not welding it on before I installed it since it mounts on the top. The photos help a lot. BTW your paint job looks great.