News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

need advice please

Started by skip54, 2008-04-25 16:49

Previous topic - Next topic

skip54

hello everyone. skip here in central ny. i'm getting my first 57 ford (ranchero) sunday morning. the guy says it runs but it has no brakes. i've read several posts here and i guess the general concensus is to use granada spindles. will any year granada/monarch work? also will the rotors and calipers be the same and will they work as well. i'm having a hard time finding a granada and can't afford the kits at this time. if anything else will work easily and bold right up please let me know. i'm sure i'll have more questions soon. thanks   skip

57 Ford Kustom

Skip
   there are more Ford spindles that will work. But my son and I sat down to try and find the cheapest way for him to get disc brakes. I bought a pair of Granada spindles for $100 complete. spent $35 to have the lower mount reamed that turned around and spent $210 for calipers, disc, bearings and seals, not to say about new wheels. Than we looked at the brackets on ePay added what else we needed and came up about $20 cheaper than my set up and his car is lower than mine did not need to go down another 1.1/2".

Tom :unitedstates: :burnout:
aka:Bluedot Kid 2
To fast to live, to young to die.

KidKourier

Skip54,  What your looking for are 75--80 Granada/Monarch spindles&discs. If you can't find any try www.dropnstop.com in Calif. he sells complete kits for $595.00 or will sell parts individually these are brand new or re-manufactured OEM products so you can purchase parts as you can afford. Also Dick the owner is a wealth of info on this install, any questions he'll be able to answer them!  SKIP ( West Coast)

Frankenstein57

If you can find a late model torino, they will bolt on. After hearing Ron and some others talk about this swap and the resulting camber gains, I did a bit of comparing. The spindles are close in comparison, the torino has a greater snout (hub) angle. When I bolted them on I got a bunch of camber. I took out some a-arm shims, and its closer. This is where the 1.5" drop comes from, I also got 1.5" of toe out on the steering. I was able to lengthen the tie rods to correct. Hope this helps,  Mark

lotsafords

You could also try ABS Power Brakes in Southern Cal.  I've used both ABS and Drop em & Stop em both were easy to install and all parts are readily available.

Good Luck