News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

how to remove knobs from turn signal and shift lever ??

Started by djfordmanjack, 2016-11-04 05:23

Previous topic - Next topic

djfordmanjack

I would like to use the white knobs from a 58 on my 57. How do I get them off without breaking them? are they threaded on?
They seem to move just slightly, but don't want to come off.

Hoosier Hurricane

They are molded onto the levers which have a series of grooves, but not threads.  Not removable without damage.   John

Hoosier Hurricane

Why not just install the '58 levers on your '57 column?   John

RICH MUISE

A similar question was asked on the Hamb a few weeks ago by someone trying to use the 60's style teardrop knobs on their dash. The reply they got was to heat the choke/vent cable shafts with a propane torch and the knobs would slide off.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

pepfalcon

put stem into vise vertically, down to knob. put a screwdriver on each side, and pry knob off. i used this method on my gear lever also

hiball3985

I agree, I would just use the lever and knob from the 58 rather the taking a chance of breaking the knobs.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Great info, guys. I had no idea how the knobs were molded on the levers. yes, actually repainting them and using them as is would be easiest way. I would like to have them chromed though. Heating and prying sounds good and maybe using both at the same time would help in getting the knobs off in one piece. For now I will just keep them on there. 58 year old parts , they don't make em anymore. and the repros just don't look that good. thanx everybody.

Limey57

I fitted new knobs on my Ranchero from Macs, I prized the old ones off then used a drop of epoxy glue in the new ones before pushing them on.
Gary

1957 Ranchero