News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Hydraulic clutch on y-block ?

Started by Zapato, 2016-11-26 16:12

Previous topic - Next topic

Zapato

I follow all the parts for sale over on the hamb. And if the heading has any 1957 Ford or y-block it warrants a look. Today there's a posting for a y with a 4 speed and it of all things has a hydraulic clutch setup. Not one of those fancy new setups but one like those found on countless off shore cars/trucks. Seller says it came out of a 59 truck but who knows where it first came from or if it's factory or home brewed.

Anyone ever seen anything like that, and if one is available would sure be interested in purchasing one.

Zap - :unitedstates:
Zapato

Cruise low and slow.......Nam class of '72

Zapato

Seller texted me a few pictures and it looks home made. When the kids show up for dinner will see if one of them can figure out how to post them over here. This is an "upgrade" I've been thinking about to eliminate the z- bar.

Zap -  :unitedstates:
Zapato

lalessi1

I think it can be done relatively easily. I used a McCleod throwout bearing for my toploader and a McCleod master cylinder kit for a Mustang. Close to a bolt on. I have an FE/toploader though on the clutch/tranny side.I can send you some info if you'd like. :003:
Lynn

hiball3985

The 57-60 trucks used hydraulic clutches, I have one on my 60. The bell housing has ears with holes for the slave cylinder. The truck bell housing is deeper than the passenger car, clutch fork and throw out bearing are completely different. Won't work in a passenger car as a bolt in.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Lynn, post it here am sure others would love to have the information.

Zapato

lalessi1

This is the master cylinder kit I used....

http://www.mcleodracing.com/index.php/hydraulics/hydraulic-conversion-kit/1964-1966-mustang-hydraulic-clutch-linkage-conversion-kit.html

I will take some pics of it installed with an explanation of what modifications are needed...
Lynn

Jeff Norwell

I use the same Mcleod set up on all my other cars... IMHO. they work very well for good street driving.On my early Ford Truck.. I never have had a ounce of trouble and I push that truck hard on the street.Others have used a Howe set up and have had problems.
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Zapato

Quote from: hiball3985 on 2016-11-26 19:42The truck bell housing is deeper than the passenger car, clutch fork and throw out bearing are completely different. Won't work in a passenger car as a bolt in.

Is it just that the parts don't interchange between car and truck or it's a physical for issue going into the car. I have a complete truck setup and a passenger car bellhousing and a couple of toploaders. Believe the hydraulic pieces could be easily sourced and just a couple of mounting issues can be worked out. Going to think about this a bit more.

Zapato

hiball3985

Zap, everything on the truck bell housing is different, it's too deep, the input shaft on a car trans won't reach the pilot bearing/bushing. The throw out bearing fork is different, it mounts on a ball and will only work with a truck throw out bearing which is different then a car. So there is no practical way to use a truck bell housing. When I originally build my truck in 1974-75 I put a 390 in it and used the passenger car bell housing but had to have a mounting pad for the clutch slave cylinder welded on, I had a shop do that, I can weld cast. So a passenger car bell can be used if you can weld it or get it welded to mount the slave cylinder.. The stock Ford truck master cylinder for the clutch is just a brake master without a residual valve..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

RICH MUISE

Zap...I'm going to try and post the pics you sent me a week ago and I just found...sorry.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

Thanks for those pictures Rich. That is a truck bell housing, you can tell by the mounts for the cross member. It's either a 57-60 that has been repaired were the original slave cylinder mounts were or it's a 61-64 that has had the mounting pad welded on. You can do the same to the Y block passenger car bell housing or an FE, thats what I did on my 390 housing..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Zapato

Thank you Rich for posting those for me. It was these pictures that confirmed to me that what I was contemplating was and is doable. Now need to find all the related clutch parts.

One more question are clutch disc and pressure plate from a truck compatible in a passenger car? Yes or No?

Zapato

hiball3985

The clutch master cylinder and slave cylinders are available new. I've never seen the push rod for sale but they are easy to fabricate. The truck disc is different, the trucks have a larger diameter input shaft. I don't recall exactly but I think the fingers on the truck disc are for the larger diameter throw out bearing. The smallest truck plate may be an 11" unless the 6 cylinder had a 10 or 10 1/2". not 100% sure on that..
JIM:
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang