News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

rear differential

Started by rickj, 2008-05-24 09:56

Previous topic - Next topic

rickj

does any one know if the Granada rear differential is the same as the Lincoln Versailles? Would it have the disk brakes and a 9 in on it.

shopratwoody

I think the Granada has a 8" in it w/o disc brakes. The Linc is more expensive so
has disc brks and 9".
Ron :004:
I hate blocksanding!

JPotter57

A few years ago, I bought a 9 with disks from a fully optioned 76 Granada , and some `74-76 Granadas came with a 9 inch, with drum brakes.  No specific criteria goverened if it came with a 9, as I got a 9 with drums from a `75 6 cylinder 3 speed Granada.  On the other hand, some V8 cars did have an 8 inch, like the `77 parts car I just bought a few months back.  It had a 302  and C4, but with an 8 with 2.80 gears.  You have to look through a lot of junkers to find the prizes.  You are more likely to fnd the 9 with disks in a Mercury Monarch, though I have seen a few with disks in Granadas.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

rickj

Thanks, I didn't think the Granada had the rear disk but the more I check I began to wounder. The Versailles are getting hard to come buy. I'm going to put a Lincoln Mark 8 4.6 motor in my hard top. Been thinking if a person could take the disk brakes from the mark and make some brackets and use them. Just kicking that around. Any ideals on that would be welcome.

Frankenstein57

If you are a good fabricator you can find pre made brackets, cheap, in circle track magazines. Then just bolt up the rotor tightly on the rearend, clamp the caliper, bracket, pads on to the rotor, then tack it home. The key would be matching the caliper and pad to the rotor, fairly close. Mark

JPotter57

You can take the disk brakes from a late Crown Vic or Explorer, and the brackets supposedly will bolt onto a 9 inch rear.  A lot of the guys at the Fairlane message board use these rear disks on their `60s Fairlanes.  The real benefit here is that the brake assy's are a lot lighter, plus the calipers are full floating, so they wear the brake pads more evenly.  Also, the emergency brake system is a lot better.  I like the later disks much better than the old Versailles parts, much, much easier and cheaper to find and buy....Check into it.  You can usually find these setups in Pull-A-Part yards for about $50 or $60 a set, plus rebuilding or replacing calipers and pads...not bad at all.  I'm gonna try it.
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.