News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need a Ranchero Tail Pan.......Panel below the Tailgate

Started by KYBlueOval, 2017-02-10 09:05

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Had my Ranchero Body Media Blasted yesterday and the only real surprise was the tail pan area. It has rust trough in the left and right ends below the tail lights and a lot of filler in between the tail lights, indicating it had been hit in that area and "straighten" with a minimum of hammer and dolly work and a lot of filler.
So, I'm in need of this tail piece. Common to Rancheroes and Station Wagons, maybe Couriers also.  Anyone on the Forum parting out a Ranchero or Wagon or Courier? I'm interested in any thing you may have. The entire piece or pieces. To my knowledge this piece is not reproduced. Please correct me if I'm wrong on that. What have others done when needing to replace this pane?
Call, text or P.M
Thanks
John       502 773 05 Nine Two

Limey57

Mine was also bad here.  I played around with paper templates and concluded that while it looked a complex shape it wasn't that bad, I made the repair sections in separate pieces, see page 2 of my build thread for how I did mine.  I rust-free panel would have been easier but I think this is a common rust trap.

http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=2427.15
Gary

1957 Ranchero

RICH MUISE

Yeah, Bill was looking for one a few years ago, not sure what he did.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I've watched for one for several years without success.  Mine was mashed all the way across.  I've looked hard at the repop car tailpan.  The outer corners are similar.  If I had outer corner issues, I would cut up a car tailpan to make patch pieces.  Unfortunately, I have a lot of damage in the center where the license plate contour is quite different.  If I don't find one I'll make patches.

Ford Blue blood

Three days with a hammer and dolly.....still needs some fineness.  The area under the tail light that was eaten out was replaced with two pieces beaten into submission and the welded in.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Thanks to all that replied. I've received an offer from a Forum member for the tail pan from a '57 "Car", but I don't know of any '57 Fords nearby to take a first hand look to see if it could be altered to work on a Ranchero.
I know the two Tail Pans are different..........just how different are they? Can a "Car" tail Pan be cut up , and reworked to use on a Ranchero?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

I looked at Limey's pic of his Ranchero he just posted a few days ago in Morning Coffee....The obvious difference is the pan for the cars has the pretty radical licence plate recess that the Ranchero doesn't have. Also, the wagon/Ranchero is going to have that material that is up/in/under the tailgate.How much of everything else is the same is any ones guess, but I would think it would be similar enough to use some as patch panels. I don't know how much the EMS panel is, but it seems like it would be easier to modify than working with a older takeoff. Consider the fact you didn't know how bad your's was until it was media blasted. On the other hand, an older takeoff might be able to include material that EMS's doesn't. Not trying to screw up somebody's sale on a part...just saying I'd have them media blast it before I committed $ and shipping.
Can you post pics of the damaged area?? We're just guessing how bad/easy it would be to patch it piece by piece (like DJ did his floors) until we see what we're talking about. Keep in mind most custom body modifications are traditionally a "patchwork quilt". Not too many metalworking gurus that can hand form a new fender for a Zepher from one piece with no welding!!

RICH MUISE

Afterthought.......John, I don't remember seeing pics you've posted before, if you need help posting pics, let me know. If you can or want, you can email them to me at richardmuise@yahoo.com and I'll post them for you...or I can lead you thru it over the phone.