News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Question about complete heater removal

Started by terry_208, 2017-02-18 16:19

Previous topic - Next topic

terry_208

I'm trying to remove the complete heater assembly from my Custom. Is there a reference on line that will detail the removal?  I have to remove rust and plan to replace the cleaned and updated heater later.  I  currently have the under hood housing removed and thought the inside portion/heater core would simply pull out but NO....

Thanks for the help!

Terry
Terry

gasman826

If you've removed the blower motor housing and the 1/4" nuts and the heater hoses(if you have one, close the manual hot water valve top-front of the intake manifold(reduces coolant lose) from the engine side, remove the right fresh air duct (2 screws at the bottom edge of the dash).  This may not be necessary but two screws and its out of the way.  Remove one of the retaining screws on the top of the heater housing to the defroster housing retaining strap.  Make sure the rubber boot is loose.  Disconnect the cables.  Whole housing removes to bench for final disassembly.  Don't forget towels on the carpet to save the mess.

RICH MUISE

Yours may vary depending on if it's a factory heater or dealer installed heater. The dealer installed heaters did not draw fresh air, so they did not use the upper large opening in the cowl (above the weld seam), and there would be a cover plate over it. The factory heaters drew fresh air from the cowl, so that upper opening was used.
Been a long time, but I think what Gary pictured above is the dealer installed heater.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

djfordmanjack

Gary where does the horseshoe go to ?
:003:

terry_208

Thanks.  I thought that was about it but the unit didn't want to let go of the body.  It must be attached from age.  The only thing that I didn't do was insure the rubber boot was loose.  Didn't want just pull in case I had forgot something.

I'm trying to get the body shell stripped for media blasting.  It's off the frame already, the only part of interior installed is what's left of the side panels, and the dash.

I was waiting until the body is back from blasting to start a build thread.  I have taken several pictures but was afraid it would take years to get this far and didn't want to leave people hanging and wondering how I was doing. 
Terry

gasman826

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2017-02-18 18:34
Gary where does the horseshoe go to ?
:003:

looks like it fell over and all my luck ran out!!!!!!!