News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

window cleaners

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2017-02-17 08:26

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

hi,   i have a problem cleaning the car windows,  expecially the outside windshield,  always end up with a smudge,  streaks etc,   have tried the xxxx steelwool.   what i would like to find  is a small electric hand polisher,  any one know who might put one out?,  don't want to pay an arm and leg,   plus whats a good window cleaner?,   thanks   jerry

Ecode70D

I need to know the answer to that question also.

Jeff Norwell

Not sure about a polisher.... but for cleaning windows(this sounds lame).....I use a household dish soap...Dawn dish soap...cuts HEAVY grease and film..... with Very hot water.... and then I use a Mothers glass cleaner with soft baby diapers....
Baby diapers....hard to find cause everything is disposable today.... are the best for cleaning.The mothers Glass cleaner is the best i have found.... Use a diaper for applying... and one for buffing.

Sounds crazy... but my wife taught me this.... hahahah

If you need a cheap polisher..try harbour Freight.......and keep the speed low......
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Jeff Norwell

P.S.....Beautiful rag Fairlane!
"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

Ford Blue blood

Hot water and vinegar followed with news paper to polish.  My dad did it this way as long as I can remember......or at least until I left home for the Navy!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Advise from my 26 years in the custom picture framing business......if you think your glass needs to be clean, think about picture framing, where one very very small smudge, streak or film can cost alot of time disassembling , etc.
It's not so much the glass cleaner itself that's the issue, but the toweling you use. The aerosol Spayway cleaner works better than any other Windex type cleaners. The trick with the toweling is how you wash them. DO NOT use fabric softeners in the detergent, liquids or the Bounce type sheets you put in the dryer. It's those softeners that will make your glass streak. Also keep the detergent to a low amount...you don't want residue on the towels when you go to using them.
After your glass is clean, I have found Meguire's ultimate detailer that you do your paint, etc with works great to actually get your glass to sparkle. Use it inside and out.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

hiball3985

I noticed over the years more and more problems with paper towels, I think it's because many are now made from recycled paper. I started using the micro-cloth towels and they seem to work well. I use them on almost everything I clean now, I buy large packages of them at Costco.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Ecode70D

One thing for sure is that I am not going to  use a polishing machine of any kind on my windshield. 
I'll follow some of the other good advices that you guys mentioned.

But wait a minute.   Where do I think that I'm going anyways?  I can't even get my cars out because
Of that white stuff and the salt and stuff  on the roads.

That's a good looking convertible.

gasman826

Old windshields have tiny scratches or even lime deposits and will always look dirty no matter how much cleaning.  Put on a new pair of glasses, it's like someone turned on a light.  Couple of years ago, got a stone chip and it cracked before I got home.  After Safe Lite put in a new windshield, like day and night!  I've seen a friend buffing glass before re-installing.  You buff clear coat.  Why not glass??? 

Way back...washed a lot of windshields with only squeegee to dry.  Polished with newspaper.

terry_208

After coming to the mainland from Hawaii, I used a polisher and jewlers rouge to remove the hard water stains from the car's windows.  I was careful but had no problems with it.
Terry

lowrider

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-02-17 10:17
Hot water and vinegar followed with news paper to polish.  My dad did it this way as long as I can remember......or at least until I left home for the Navy!
X2 on the newspaper. I was surprised how well it worked.
I also had a problem on my OT daily driver on one door glass. My drivers side door glass had small scratches in it from dirt in the catwisker. I picked up a container of Novus heavy scratch cleaner for acrylic windshields at the Harley dealer. Took the scratches right out.

petew

I have a new class a motor home that has a 2 acre windshield , cleaning it with Windex left it with more stripes that a tiger has.
I bought an aerosol product from Walmart ( on the advise from a friend ) called Invisible Glass and it works great. When used with microfiber cleaning cloth I have 2 acres of streak free glass.

slumlord44

I have been using newspaper and Windex for years. Switched to Windex with vinegar a while back and works better.