News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Body Bolts Used on 57 Fords

Started by 57AGIN, 2017-02-17 18:19

Previous topic - Next topic

57AGIN

Guys:

I've been busy at home, cleaning & painting a variety of nuts & bolts that will be used shortly when I get my 57 Ford Custom 300 out of "Body Shop Jail." Since my car has been apart several times since I've owned it and my memory has become somewhat lacking in recent years, I really would like to know where the various types of 5/16 NF 24 and 5/16 NC 18 body bolts were used.  Also, why they used one type verses another.    Any help & comments would be appreciated.

Bob
57 AGIN

gasman826

The first two probably don't belong on a '57.  The middle one might be the attaching bolt for the top, rear of the front fender, just below the windshield.  You have to open the door to see it.  The last two, 24 thread are typically used through out the entire body.  Back in the '50s, many cars were built using fine threaded fasteners because the torque rating was higher and less vulnerable to loosening under vibration.  The two right 5/16-18 were very common and the standard from around 1965 until conversion to metric fasteners.  When I salvaged a '57, I would save every fastener.  I have buckets full of 5/16-24s.

Hats off to you!  Painting bolt heads is pure torture!!!!  But it's all in the details.

57AGIN

Gasman826:

Thanks for the body bolt lesson, I have no idea why the coarse threaded fasteners were in with my other fine threaded ones.  I also have some 1/4 NC 20 fasteners that were in this same collection of nuts & bolts, were they too not part of the 57?  Rick and I were both wondering about whether the narrow end of the threaded section of the bolt is used for a purpose different from that of the flat end of the threaded portion type of bolt.  I believe both types of bolts use exactly the same kind of nut, but why a different end?

Bob
57 AGIN

djfordmanjack

I think the narrow end without threads is so the nut slips on more easily in places that the factory workers could only hardly see or reach both ends of the bolt. ie the whole front end where fenders and inner wheelwells and front apron meet.
the 1/4" bolts attach the grill to the front hood header panel.

57AGIN

djfordmanjack & Gasman826:

Thanks for helping clear this up for me.

Bob
57 AGIN