News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Thanks again.

Started by jumping jack flash, 2017-03-04 13:37

Previous topic - Next topic

jumping jack flash

In a posting in the for sale section I expressed my likes of the 500 windshield trim on the old school custom. I like to have real friends on this site, and Wirenut has become one. We are able to visit in person as I baby sit my grandson on weekends, in the same town as he lives in. We share common auto likes, and sometimes parts. Last night he and his wife met us at our local to them burger joint, and he produced a neatly wrapped and taped set of 500 trim for me. Wow, I like that. Thanks again , Wirenut. Another site member, I recently met, and bought a 272 from was Barkeep. He is on the site , and working on a 4 dr custom. He isn't very active as he forgot his password. I told him I did too, long ago and the administrator fixed it for me. We are a growing group here in central Texas.

Limey57

Got to admit, over the years I've belonged to so many car forums and the one-make forums have usually been a cold, unfriendly place that didn't welcome anyone new.  I joined this place after a recommendation on the HAMB and have to admit I was somewhat hesitant, but that soon passed by.  This place is genuinely THE friendliest and most helpful site I've ever been on, everyone is made to feel welcome and everyone offers help.
Gary

1957 Ranchero

Ecode70D

X2 Gary   I have never seen a site as nice as this.

djfordmanjack

This site feels like home, or better even like in the shop, filled with '57 projects and bench racing buddies and smelling like oil and gas ... :002:

KYBlueOval

Quote from: jumping jack flash on 2017-03-04 13:37
In a posting in the for sale section I expressed my likes of the 500 windshield trim on the old school custom. I like to have real friends on this site, and Wirenut has become one. We are able to visit in person as I baby sit my grandson on weekends, in the same town as he lives in. We share common auto likes, and sometimes parts. Last night he and his wife met us at our local to them burger joint, and he produced a neatly wrapped and taped set of 500 trim for me. Wow, I like that. Thanks again , Wirenut. Another site member, I recently met, and bought a 272 from was Barkeep. He is on the site , and working on a 4 dr custom. He isn't very active as he forgot his password. I told him I did too, long ago and the administrator fixed it for me. We are a growing group here in central Texas.

I
I'm also curious about the 500 trim applied to  a custom or in my case a Ranchero. I readily admit I have very limited knowledge of what is involved , but I believe the 500 windshield in lower, thus the trim would be shorter. Is that correct........if you know? The 500 windshield rubber gasket would need to be used, and if the windshield is shorter than a custom, the gasket would be shorter also. Does the rain gutter in the front need to be removed........sounds like it. There isn't a 500 near by that I can look at as a reference.
Anyone have thoughts on what all is involved in making this change to a Custom or Ranchero?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

John, you are correct on the heights. All Custom based models are 1" taller windshield than the Fairlanes. I did look briefly at a Fairlane with the trim in question last weekend in OKC., and there is no front roof edge rain gutter.
Just thinking outloud here.......I think we'd need to come up with something modified than just oem components to work on the Customs...at the minimum components from a second Fairlane. Maybe an additional piece to span the possible gap. Maybe a combo of upper Fairlane and lower Custom?
I would think the Fairlane seal could be stretched the extra 2" overall needed.
I think the A pillar/windshield angles are the same, or close enough, but not 100% sure.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

They are the same.  The change starts to happen in the middle where the seam is.  I'm wondering if that trim might have come off a 58 Ford?
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2017-03-05 07:43
They are the same.  The change starts to happen in the middle where the seam is.  I'm wondering if that trim might have come off a 58 Ford?

Good to know that the angles are the same. Thanks
What is the difference in '58 trim vs. '57 trim?

Wirenut

I googled windshields for the fairlane and the ranchero and it think it was Dennis carpenter shows the same windshield and part number for both. I never thought about the front roof line and windshield frame being differant. I guess it'll be a challengeto make the trim fit. It sure looks nice on the car.