News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

eng swap

Started by geraldchainsaw, 2017-05-09 13:22

Previous topic - Next topic

geraldchainsaw

just a question,   i have a 312 with orig trans,   if i ever need a swap,  is there a shu in using orig trans?, like possibly a 302 or 351?,   thanks   jerry

Lou

In 1965 Ford changed the transmission bolt pattern for their small blocks, if you have a later 289 or 302 and use a 62 to 64 bellhousing it will bolt up. A 289/302 is not a good swap for a 57 Ford as the engines were designed for a much lighter vehicle. If your 312 gets tired you would be better off having it rebuilt.

JimNolan

Jerry,
   If I'm not bad mistaken that transmission will fit behind an FE bell housing and the engine uses the same motor mounts and transmission mount that the 312 Y-block used. I've found out that the stock 57 Fairlane likes 270-325 horsepower. Makes driving the car more enjoyable, get better gas mileage and doesn't create problems. I've had considerable more HP in my car and I didn't like the way it handled and didn't like the new noises that came with more HP. Remember that a 58 used a FE engine with the same frame, same transmissions etc.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

geraldchainsaw

thanks guys,  i'll keep all in mind when time comes

djfordmanjack

I had a 302/C4 with 3.56 rear in my 57 SD courier and it was a great reliable Cruiser with plenty of go at 80+ highway speeds. Not a  traffic light king, but good mpg average drivetrain. love the C4 shift pattern. SBF are a bolt-in into the 57 with I believe reversed motor mounts. My Del Rio had a 351/ C6/ 3.25rear and that was a nice combo except for the higher rpm C6 truck shifting.
I understand that you want to keep the manual trans though.
I'd take a 312 over the others anytime.

Ecode70D

Gerald
   I guess that it all boils down to personal choice and what you have in your inventory or can find.  Generally  I found that most of Henry's engine and transmissions fit without many problems.  They made it very convenient when we could switch motor mounts and transmission mounts around to get them into different places.  Just about every swap possible has been made by guys on this site and they are willing to share information.   Jay

geraldchainsaw

correction,      i left out it was a automatic

gasman826

I was wondering when this post was going to come up.  Whole new game.  Nothing interchanges with Y-block FordOMatic.  There was a couple of years FOM would interchange using FE bellhousing, flexplate and torque convertor and then FOM was upgraded to CruiseOMatic (COM).  Upgrade to a COM and you need to upgrade your steering column to support three forward gear selections. 

Don't get me wrong.  It has been done many times but it is not just slapping a FE into it.  There's a bunch of accessories to make it look 'factory' and make you happy with the conversion.

JimNolan

That really surprised me. I thought the PRNDL Ford O Matic would have been put behind a 332 or 352 in 1958. The transmission itself has a three piece case and I just figured they'd have changed the bell housing on it and kept it. I do know the 3 speed Cruise O Matic came out in 1958 as a $139.00 option. I know the Ford O Matic suppose to have 3 forward gears (I thought) at least the ones in 1957. I noticed in the 1958 Thunderbird Data Tag section they listed #3  as a Ford O Matic transmission I didn't know they put Y-Blocks in 1958 Thunderbirds, maybe they did. To be truthful, I don't really know, I've never had it come up.
I do know that my 57 was built the first week of production in 1956 and they used the power steering assembly, outside mirrors, inside mirror and ash tray that came with the 1956 model year. They liked to use up all their spare parts from the previous year. I just assumed they made a new bell housing for the Ford O Matic and slapped it in a 58 model for the FE engine.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

gasman826

The FOM was the first generation Borg Warner.  The overhaul kits are similar if not the same for FOM and COM.  The FOM shifts were controlled by governor and throttle position or throttle valve.  FOM started in second gear and shifted to third unless manually shifted into first gear and manually shifted to second with no passing gear.  The COM looks nearly identical to the FOM.  The upgrades was the elimination of the throttle valve so the shift points are controlled by the governor and the vacuum modulator.  The COM (in D) starts in first and automatically shifts to second and third.  The COM also introduced Passing Gear.  The COM lost the rear pump so push starting was no longer an option.  The Borg Warner design was so reliable that the internal designs carried over into the FMX, C4, C6 and AOD transmissions.

jumping jack flash

I'd like to throw in some chat about this subject. The small block Ford started life in 1962 as a 221 cu. in. underhorsed change. It became a 260 that same year. In 1963 the 289 was introduced. All of these were of a first gen. block with a 5 bolt pattern holding the bell housing to the block. That all changed in 1965 when Ford made the 6 bolt block and bell housings to match. Only the 289 was being offered . The 302 was not available until 1968 .the first gen and second gen (1965 and up)  can NOT be mixed. 65 and up blocks must have a 65 or up bell housing, and 64 down must all be from those years, (62-64). During the small block development Ford continued use of the 292 "Y" block, through 1964.Very little can be used from the Y block on the small blocks. About all that comes to mind is the carburetor.My thoughts on this swap that may take place is to replace both engine and transmission. I like the Y block just fine, but the 351 small block introduced in 1969 is a pure joy to have in a 57 Ford. All the parts availability of that GM adversary and a collection of much better transmissions are available.