News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Heater Core conversion deleting thermostat valve

Started by JetDoc, 2018-04-27 06:15

Previous topic - Next topic

JetDoc

Hello All,

Newbie 57 Fairlane owner here. I bought the car with leaking heater core and live in the Northeast, so I need a working heater. Does anyone know if any other heater core that doesn't have thermostat valve will fit without major modifications? I don't care about thermostat valve and cable being inop. Full flow with manual shutoff valve is fine, because the car is far from stock as it is,  I just want working leak free heater core. Would a 55-57 T-bird one fit perhaps, it just needs to be the same outside dimensions and inlet/outlet ports lined up.     

Thanks

djfordmanjack

my Del Rio came with a 54 pssgr core according to PO. I think it needed only one hole relocated ( enlarged) for hose and had a mechanical valve on water pump.
if you just removed and welded shut the vaccuum/valve mechanism, you could just use a new replacement 57 core ( readily available) and use the old valve just for a hose neck and use existing holes in firewall.

I like the thermostatic valve and you will find many NOS, NORS and new replacement online. not a problem at all to replace. be sure to use plenty of good quality sealant along with the rubber gasket.