News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Steering floor seal

Started by Swank, 2018-07-13 15:25

Previous topic - Next topic

Swank

Afternoon,
I have the whole front off of the car right now.  Figured i'd better think about the steering column floor seal while im messing with the firewall.   None of the steering parts are disassembled.  Whats the best way to go about getting this thing where it belongs?

-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
"...paint it black, put it back!"
_________
1964 Ford Fairlane 500 (goner)
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1988 Chevy Suburban (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

It's a straight screw-on with sheet metal screws, but you need the split sheetmetal "cover"...........not seeing it in your pics.
Don't forget to install new cowl drains while your front end is off.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Swank

Oh yeah, forgot to mention that i have the split sheet metal covers.  Im not sure how to get the seal around the column.  Theres the pre-cut hole and a punch out hole for the fordomatic shifter right above.  The seal is not split from the hole to the side.  Does the steering wheel need to come off? ...or something along that line?
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

rovohn

You have to remove the steering column then slide it on then re install said column.
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

hiball3985

Much easier to split the seal, and after install but a little sealer in the split before installing the two sheet metal pieces.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Swank

I can see how it'd be a breeze spliting the seal.  If i didnt want to do that, is it feasable to get it on from the steering wheel side by removing the wheel and loosening column from the dash, etc?, or will the whole column have to come out and it goes on from the gearbox side?   My standard 57ford manual does not address the seal or removing the column.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

RICH MUISE

If I'm not mistaken, the shaft does not come out of the box without total disassembly of the box, which you would not want to do with the box still in the car anyways. Much easier to do as Jim suggested and split the seal. No one will ever see it. Although I never used mine, I did restore the metal piece and bought a new seal, which I'm 95% sure was already split.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

59meteor

On my 59 2 door sedan, I removed the steering wheel and steering column, and slid the rubber seal down over the long steering shaft. Its not a difficult job to slide the steering column tube out.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Swank

Thanks everybody.  I'll be weighing if i'm up for taking apart the column. 
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)

djfordmanjack

In a perfect FORD world, disassembling everything to the last nut and bolt and replacing that seal as Henry intended, that would be a must and probably worth a good day or more of work.
In a RocknRoll musicians world, getting out a carpet cutter and using some Gaffa tape after all is said and done, it sounds more reasonable to me :003:

Swank

I know what you mean.  Easy to get carried away,  trying to keep it on the short side of a 20year project.   Thought i'd be driving by now.
-Eugene

'57 Fairlane Town Sedan
_________
1970 Ford Torino (goner)
1976 MGB (goner)
1966 Volkswagen (goner)