News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Fuel Leak

Started by lalessi1, 2018-08-24 08:23

Previous topic - Next topic

lalessi1

I have recently developed a new problem. When I start my car after it sits for a couple of weeks it leaks a LOT of gasoline (in the area around the fuel pump). I shut the engine down for a few minutes and start it back up and the leak goes away. I thought it may have been the plastic fuel filter so I replaced it with a new piece of hose and new clamps. Of course I have to wait a couple of weeks to "prove" the fix... so far no good. I have a Carter mechanical pump on my FE and it has been fine for a couple of years. I now think the diaphragm gasket may be the culprit. Any ideas?
Lynn

Tom S

Quote from: lalessi1 on 2018-08-24 08:23I now think the diaphragm gasket may be the culprit. Any ideas?
I've had Holley carb cork gaskets dry up & leak or seep until the carb got some fuel back in it for a short while. But that's after the car sat for a lot longer than a couple weeks.  Like maybe 6 or 7+ months over the winter.  I don't know if your fuel pump gasket is cork though & it is no doubt a lot hotter & for longer than it ever gets here so that makes it easier for stuff to dry up and shrink.  Even rubber stuff.
Just a thought. 

rmk57

I had the diaphragm gasket give out on the pump on my Mustang, although it was 45 years old. Bought a rebuild kit for around $40 and it's been good since.

Also had one go in my Bronco. Started squirting fuel out the vent hole. Couldn't find a rebuild kit so just bought a rebuilt pump.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

Lynn, if you remember I had the same magic stuff happening on my 57 a few weeks ago and it self sealed again...huh?
Although I have a mechanical AC pump on a Y block. it has several rubber (or rubberized cork) gaskets (having a vacc unit on top and fuel filter bowl on the bottom and one gasket inbetween the seperate housing parts). this happend the second time already. first time it happened overnight ( 2 yrs ago) and second time after 4 weeks ( this summer). Let's go with Jim and blame it on the ethanol... :003:
my pump has been tight and working ever since.

SkylinerRon

Pull the dip stick and smell for gas. If so it is leaking into the crankcase.

Ron.