News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

SMS Interiors

Started by Jeff Norwell, 2018-11-16 14:31

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff Norwell

I am on a couple of FB 57 Ford groups.. one had a conversation started about SMS and the very long wait times..... paying in full for a stock style interior.. and some guys waited over a year?
I think Jim Nolan jumped in on the conversation... but not sure if anyone from here was on FB or that thread..... Anyhow.I asked about another company and i assume the only other option is LeBaron Bonney.(Not a bad thing I guess)
For those with custom interiors.. this is a mute point,.... but I would like to see who has had a good,Bad or Ugly Experience with SMS?
I was planning on using them on both 57's..As I am drawn to the stock interior.....

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

57chero

Lucky for me I live about a half an hour from SMS. I had them upholster my seat and make up the door panels for my ranchero also bought the material made up for the headliner excellent quality. The owner is super nice and loves 57s, I was at a car show this summer and he was one of the sponsors he walked upped and looked inside and said that's one of my interiors keep in mind I purchased it about 12 years ago. I remember the warehouse was gigantic and the showroom had thousands of samples in little drawers of every body style of 57 and every other make of car. I remember it took about 4 months. The door panels were made from original patterns and ready to install, all the holes for the clips matched perfectly to the doors.

djfordmanjack

haven't ordered yet, but samples took a few months to arrive (I am overseas). the samples look spot on and are a terrific match compared to the og stuff. In my mind I am going to order from them, once I will be doing the interior.

oldave57

I purchased SMS front and rear door panels for my 57 Fairlane 500 Club Sedan.  The panels were as perfect as they could be, with a great color match and great fit to the doors and rear seat areas.  I would say that the only downfall is a fairly long wait and almost no communication during the wait period.  I ordered the panels in December of 2009 and received them in July of 2010.  During that time, I called about once a month starting in March of 2010 (not sure if that helped or hurt the delivery time).  In any case, the quality is top notch if you are not in too big a hurry.

Good Luck,
Dave

JimNolan

I'm interested in how much SMS is charging for door panels now. Like I said before, I paid $1250 back in 2005. I hate to hear their service takes so long now. But, I don't know of anyone that could do the job better than them.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.

FiveSevenLiter

I used them three years ago when I was building my Mercury, called them and explained the plan, they sent me three (3) samples and I called them back and they sent 4 yards of material. 
Knew what I wanted, communicated clearly and shipped quickly.
T/F
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

KYBlueOval

My experience with SMS is that they give new meaning to "Slow" and "Poor Communication". You must be very patient is dealing with them.

59meteor

Jeff, I was on that post, like I said there, I ordered a headliner and a length of windlace , in late August from SMS. At that time, they made no mention of any lengthy delays, but when I never seen or heard anything, I called them a few days ago. The lady was nice, but said they were waiting for the material, which I found odd, as old car fabric is there livlihood. So far, I have no idea when I will see my order, but it was charged to my credit card right away. I had requested some seat cover material samples , and they look perfectly matched to my old stuff, so I would really like to get some. (I would prefer if they offered ready to install seat covers, but they don`t seem to do that). I have also looked at the door panels that they show on their website, and again, they look terrific, but when I asked about a timeline for new door and rear panels for my 59 2 door Custom 300 sedan, they said 8 to 12 months! I really would like to have a stock interior, but the really long wait is a real concern for me. Lets face it, most of us are not "spring chickens", and would rather have are stuff in a timely fashion, especially when they are holding are money for months.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Jeff Norwell

Not sure at all what SMS pricing is.. the website has been re done and I have not played with any numbers,.. but LeBaron Bonney has the kits for interiors.... At one time, they were the folks to go too.
No one seems to have given any experience with them.
Saying that,...I calculated a door Panel set ($1280.00 USD),Headliner($230.00 USD.)Seat kit($1,045.00 USD).... $2555.00 USD.

No rug,no visor kit or Trunk kit....
I imagine Bonney and SMS are pretty much the same?... price wise and fit n finish?

Some of you guys had a good experience... some horrible.
After all said and done,.. for 3-4 K for interior and no installation  clips and things needed..... waiting 6-12 months is insane.

FiveSevenLiter,.... you mentioned you bought just material?.... I was not sure they will send you just material.
59meteor..I agree 100%

"Don't get Scared now little Fella"

1957 Ford Custom-428-4 speed
1957 Ford Custom 300-410-4 speed

http://www.norwell-equipped.com

gasman826

I bit my tongue because the OP was asking for feedback for SMS.  I have none.  Since LeBaron Bonney has been mentioned, I see LB prices are competitive with SMS.  I have NOT ordered OEM style interior components.  But, I have ordered a custom headliner and provided my materials.  I was very impressed with the service.  Since my application was a custom color, I visited a Keyston Brothers upholstery supply house.  I ordered the materials and had Keyston ship part of the order direct to LB.  LB made the headliner and shipped the headliner and extra materials to me within three weeks.  YES, 3 WEEKS.  My upholstery shop installed the headliner and never complained about fit and quality.  This highend shop is very picky about stuff ('57 has been in upholstery jail for 2-1/2 years and counting).  When I first contacted LB with my issues, they offered the solutions by having the pattern for the headliner and using my material and direct shipping from Keyston.  This is only one experience with LB but I was very impressed.

Nothing to do with the OP but several members have mentioned using Thunderbird seats.  I'm using '61-63 Thunderbird buckets and '64-66 rear seats.  I ordered front and rear seat pre-formed seat foam from Larry's Thunderbird.  I had prompt and good service experiences.  The pre-formed seat foam is expensive but is cheaper than paying the upholstery guy to whittle it out for you.  The OEM foam is old, crusty, stinky, and just plain worn out.  New foam makes the seats better than new.

FiveSevenLiter

Jeff,
I was recommended to buy the material direct from them by my 'Upholstery Warden' at the 'Upholstery Jail'. 
Once they sent me three samples, this time just one.
Terry

1957 Custom 300 - since 2012 SOLD 2024
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

gasman826

Why would they bother sending you the wrong sample?  ...exactly like the sample but another color!!

JPotter57

Jim Nolan, Rich Stuck just got his front and rear seat covers, front and rear door panels, one sunvisor and windlace, $3300 for all of it.  So, the price hasnt gone down any..lol
1957 Ford Custom 427 2x4 4 spd
Old, loud, and fast.

JimNolan

James, This restoration industry is probably doing better on price than we realize. It's not like they get orders enough to add employee's to handle the demand.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.