News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

generator to alternator

Started by 57chero, 2009-01-28 23:22

Previous topic - Next topic

57chero

Got my dash painted and installed all the wires are hooked up, now Im working my way into the engine compartment Im running a 351 with a stock style ford alt. I also have the newer style voltage regulator installed, and Im using a stock harness my question is what do I need to change to convert to the alt. Is there a easy to understand diagram out there somewhere.

Ford Blue blood

Both of my Chilton Motors Manuals have diagrams for the hook up.  Some show a resistor in line from switched 12V.  You can substitute the "idiot light" for that resistor.  That goes to the "I" terminal.  The "F" and "S" go to the respective terminal on the alternator.  The heavy wire that runs from the dash wiring can go to the battery, the smaller switched wire from the dash goes to the "A" terminal.  Check the book to make sure, I'm repeating this from memory and I'm 62 so it may have a dead cell or two from all the Bud over the years!
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KULTULZ

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

57chero

KULTULZ, A buddy of mine drew a diagram for me on this conversion, your diagram confirms it thanks for the responce.

gasman826

Ford 3G alternators are plentiful and produce 130 amps and up.  V-belt or serpentine pulleys.  Internal regulator.  Clip the pigtail if you get one from the U-PICK.  EBay pigtails for about 15 bucks and wires are labeled.  Google for all kinds of diagrams.  One wire does the dash light.  I put a PowerMaster in last year but no need to spend big bucks.  Remove the OEM regulator and connect the two big wires.  Run a big wire from alternator big post to battery side of starter relay.

murphy194141

Quote from: gasman826 on 2019-04-01 18:30
Ford 3G alternators are plentiful and produce 130 amps and up.  V-belt or serpentine pulleys.  Internal regulator.  Clip the pigtail if you get one from the U-PICK.  EBay pigtails for about 15 bucks and wires are labeled.  Google for all kinds of diagrams.  One wire does the dash light.  I put a PowerMaster in last year but no need to spend big bucks.  Remove the OEM regulator and connect the two big wires.  Run a big wire from alternator big post to battery side of starter relay.

ROKuberski

I've got a .pdf file with instructions and diagrams that I got off of the internet years ago.  It's an 8meg file.  I am running a GM 12SI 3-wire unit and the GEN light is working fine.  I have to rev up to about 800 RPM before the light goes out, but then it stays out. 

Send me an email if you want the file.  rokuberski at msn dot com

Rich

Ranch

Any of this help?

Bill