Question about 4R70W Clearance AND Hydro Boost 180 Degree Rotation

Started by KYBlueOval, 2019-03-30 13:47

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

Are there any clearance issues with the 4R70W Transmission and the transmission tunnel in '57's? I don't recall having ever read of any problems, but decided it is better to ask.
IF, I decide I need to rotate the '03 Mustang Hydro Boost that I have, what is involved in rotating it 180 degrees? What all do I have to take apart etc?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

No clearance issues with the 4R70W. Depending on how far back you go, you may or may not have to alter the stock transmission crossmember to clear the tranny oil pan.
I briefly looked at rotating the hydroboost 180*, the reasons I didn't was I thought it would be difficult to get to/install the fluid lines, that they might have ended up too close to the exhaust, and possible interference with the 4.6's valve cover and the hydroboost's "distribution block" (where the lines hook up)
The clearance hole in the firewall may be positioned a bit differently. I think if I remembercorrectly  there being a dimple in the firewall just above the oem master cylinder hole. That dimple, when the hydroboost is in the normal upright position, is what you use for centering the pilot drill on a 2" hole saw. Not sure if that would still be the case if the boost was upside down.
I suggest you DO NOT disassemble/remove that small cannister from the hydroboost. It very well still could be under high pressure. I think that's the reserve pressure tank so you have a few more power stops after the engine stops running.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Thanks Rich. Yes sir, I'm aware of the cylinder and will leave it alone. I used the "Dimple' as the centering point and have the Hydro boost mounted and connected to the pedal where it bottoms out just above the floor allowing for Dynamat , Carpet etc. Just wondered what I'll need to do IF I need to rotate the Hydro boost. The body is 30 miles away, so I can't walk out to the garage and take a look to satisfy my curiosity
The Body will be back home in a month or two or three......and I'm just forward thinking as to what issues I have to face and resolve. I'll have the transmission mount finished soon. My concern was the sheet metal hump, and you have put that concern to bed.
I'll put the Hydro Boost issue on the back burner until the body is back and mounted and I see what, if any issues I have.
As always thank for your input,
John

gasman826

No problem with '97 Mustang GT booster with custom adapter plate and 351w with Hedman mid-length.

gasman826

the 460 needed the room and was flipped

RICH MUISE

How did you flip that? Bottom pic shows/looks like  the distribution block rotated 180*, say1 o'clock to 7 o'clock, but the canister only moved 90*. Different hydroboost?
Assuming it only rotated 90*, it required the Wilwood master because the two master cylinder mounting hole on the hyroboost were now horizontal, correct? And along with that, you're only using two of the assumed 4 mounting holes?
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

second picture is a mid '70s Lincoln booster.  It is just flipped in the firewall holes because it was centered.  The '57 hole is center low.