News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Brake light wiring

Started by rovohn, 2019-05-12 14:35

Previous topic - Next topic

rovohn

I'm having an intermittent issue with my driver side brake light.
The turn signals work no problem as does the pass side brake light.
The dr side brake circuit is green/orange from the light socket back to the junction block and I think this is where my problem might be, does anyone know where the junction block is located? I assume it's under the dash somewhere but before I bend myself into a 6'2 pretzel I want to make sure I look in the general vicinity.
Thanks in advance,
John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

gasman826

There is no junction block.  The rear harness wires all end under the radio with each wire terminating as a bullet connector.

gasman826

The brake light wire is the same wire as the turn signal wire.  If one works correctly and not the other, it would likely be in the turn signal switch.

gasman826

If one brake light is intermittent, then so would the turn signal...same circuit.  Suspect turn signal switch.

terry_208

Sometimes the light will tail light will go off when the brake is depressed. If/when that happens, it is often the ground but yours sounds different from that.
Terry

RICH MUISE

Definetly check your grounds........#1 cause of irratic problems. Also, my memory is a little fuzzy on this, but the bulb I believe has 2 filaments/2 contact points at different heights...possibly a bad/rusty connection in the bulb socket. clean it out and add some dialectric grease to eliminate that as a posible problem source.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

The contacts on the bulb are the same height, the "ears" that orient the bulb so the brake/turn filament and the park filament align properly with the little nubs in the socket.

Suspect the socket or the turn signal switch.  Easiest to check first is the socket and the little nubs in there.  They have little springs behind the card board to keep the nub against the contact on the bulb.  If they get rust or dirty they will not allow the nub to contact firmly.  If the rubber seal on the back side of the assembly is hardened and full of undercoating it will cause the wire and subsequently the nub to not make good contact with the bulb.   

The bullet connectors Gary was referring to are just above the tunnel behind the radio.  If they have not been taken apart good chance you will be using some words to help!  Those bad boys stick together!  Never seen one that is still hooked up from the factory come apart or wiggle loose.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

rovohn

It definitely wasn't the socket as I ruled that out first, it seems that the turn signal switch is the culprit,I got home from a drive and the dr side brake light wouldn't so I centred the turn signal lever and voila both brake lights!
Looks like I might have to get a new one
Thanks for all the responses
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

rovohn

Latest update,I removed the steering wheel and had a look at the turn signal switch,I decided to clean and lube it and it seems to have solved the problem,Yay!
The switches are available but they are $60 US so with the Cdn exchange it would have been at least $100,so this is way cheaper
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery