News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Leaf springs

Started by 57imposter, 2019-06-20 15:30

Previous topic - Next topic

57imposter

I need to replace the leaf springs. Some vendors say that the springs are the same 57 thur 59. Others say there are differences other than the number of leafs. Most call for one shackle kit and one front spring eye bushing and the 2 inch width for all three years so I am having a little trouble finding differences some vendors are talking about. I have E-Mailed a couple but has anybody ever received a reply from a "contact us" E-Mail? I am hoping someone has gone thru this process and will have some first hand knowledge.

RICH MUISE

Hey Doug...call McVeigh's Truck Springs. That's where everybody has been getting them. 4 leaf oem are available, but I'd suggest going with the 6 leaf wagon/Ranchero springs. The 6 leaf are only "different" because they are designed to raise the back end 1" higher than the 4 leaf. That 1" is from the arching, not just because they are stronger springs. That info I got from McVeigh's.
You will not find the 6 leaf too stiff, but you will feel a difference in the car's back end not swaying/leaning in curves. If the 1" rise doesn't suit you, lowering blocks are an easy install to get the ride height back there down. I have 1" lowering blocks in the back to help the handling/road feel a bit.
While you're back there change out your shocks to '56s if you haven't already......it'll give much more tire changing room.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

57imposter

Thanks Rich...........I have since found a couple sources for the 6 leaf springs. I'm going to get a set coming.  Since I have a wife who packs everything she owns for a two week trip, I put a set of Monroe air shocks on the mine. They do a really good job of compensating for he luggage weight. The 6 leaf springs will also help with that. I am also about to start a somewhat major steering swap replacing power rack with a power box conversion.