Are there trasmission tunnel clearance issues with a 351W & 4R70W Transmission

Started by KYBlueOval, 2019-06-17 22:18

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I recently had a '57 Ford owner tell me that he had encountered a clearance issue with the transmission when he was installing a 351 Windsor coupled to a 4R70W transmission.
Pretty sure I'm safe in saying this combination has been used before, so I'd like to know if those that have installed this engine/transmission had clearance issues with the transmission, and what did you do to make it work?
Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

Not sure about the height variation from one 351 install to another. That would be the only thing that would affect the tranny fitting or not fitting. I know you know us 4.6 guys have the 4R70W with no fitment issues, so possibly if there are motor mount choices with the 351 installation that effect the height/driveline centerline, it could effect the fitment if motor is too high.
The AODE, btw, is essentially the same case as the 4R70W, so you can include that in your research.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

gasman826

I used '64 Galaxie 289 engine mounts.  The OEM transmission cross member will need heavy modification much along the lines similar to C6 mods.  The OEM cross member modifications will work but lack much trans pan clearance for future transmission service as well as the common exhaust clearance.  I happened to have a '64 Galaxie cross member so I made new frame mounts (moved rearward) and moved the parking brake brackets.  The Raunch Wagon now has plenty of exhaust clearance, parking brake, and transmission clearance like it belongs there.  No floor interference.

KYBlueOval

Rich, that's what I thought as well..........that the motor mounts would be a big part of where the transmission was located in the tunnel.
Hope some others that have a 4R70W installed will reply.
Thanks
John

KYBlueOval

Gary, very good information sir. I appreciate it. I believe I have the Galaxie 289 motor mounts (based on your recommendation in the past), but I'm in Texas for a few days, and can't recall exactly. I have the OEM trans cross member and one from a Crown Vic with the exhaust humps, that I have cut up and welded together. What I have not done yet, is connect the engine and transmission, and install them in the frame ( no body on the frame!) to see if the cross member I have made, with some additional cutting and welding  for the actual trans mount will work. Hope to get that done soon, life has gotten in the way! In addition, the floor behind the seats, is now flat. No foot wells which will help with the exhaust installation in the future.
But back to my question..........are there clearance issues with the 4R70 and the trans tunnel. I'm thinking any issues are related to the motor mounts and their location.
Hope I get some more replies and then I can put this issue to bed.

Ford Blue blood

John, Just got back from TX myself (Copperas Cove), a little west of Ft. Hood, daughter and grandchild.

My 351C/4R70W fit like a glove.  Even had to raise the engine 3/4 " to get the larger Cleveland oil pan off the cross member.  That 3/4" was between the 63 Galaxie 289 mounts and the block.  I am using the stock cross member, modified to clear the transmission pan along with an Explorer rubber isolator.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

KYBlueOval

Thanks Bill...........that is what I was hoping to hear. I recall the 3/4" spacer when I stopped to see your excellent Ranchero. I've got my engine sitting where all of the clearances look good..........I think. The only one I don't know for sure is the tunnel clearance, and I'll see what that clearance is when the body comes home.