News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Paint codes

Started by FORDNUT, 2019-05-26 16:45

Previous topic - Next topic

FORDNUT

A little help please. Paint code on door plate is KE2. Silver Mocha and Colonial White? Never seen one. And what is the 2? Car is now black.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

fdlrc

I don't know the answer but I bet I'd like it. I don't think of silver often regarding 50's cars. More so for European cars.
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Contibob

this info use to be on the 57Ford site that had all the specs and info on our Fords. It was being integrated into this site, but for some reason can't be accessed any longer??????? I believe the 2 designated where the second color was painted on the car. Also Mocha Silver is a metallic Brown color.

djfordmanjack

If you want to see my build thread, my Country Sedan is KE - yes Silver Mocha and Colonial White. the roof is still og paint.
http://57fordsforever.com/smf/index.php?topic=6705.0
Silver Mocha is a very dark shade of metallic brown with a hint of maroon to it. imho it is a great color combo on 57s. it will turn from nearly b/w in the shade to a dark copper/ cream in the sun.
the 2 stands for the second version.
Silver Moccha was available from Aug. 56, and they introduced a modified version for the 'Spring' color chart. I don't know when that change occured.
I do have oem color charts with chips, and indeed the second version shows slightly different from the first one.
Be aware, that the interior ( dash, garnish moldings) color is DIFFERENT from the body color. it is slightly more greyish and of semiflat appearance.

djfordmanjack

some sample pics
the lower half has been repainted but shows pretty close to og paint roof.

shade

sun

FORDNUT

Thanks to all for the info. I knew I would get the answer here. The dash now matched the exterior. It's black.
At my age I am not required to act mature.

fdlrc

I isn't what I expected, but I like it!
Other- Original owner of 1974 Bronco

Lou

The "2" denotes a formula change in the paint. The later Silver Moca was a shade darker than the original color because of the formula change. My best friend had a 57 that was silver moca and yellow (There were several painted that way in my area) In 1960 he had a fender bender and the body shop had a hell of a job matching the paint until a painter at a Ford dealer told him about the change in formula. 

SkylinerRon

According to my Ford manuals  K is dark brown, (silver mocha is D) E is white and the number indicates TuTone or Styletone.

Btw, silver mocha is very difficult to match.

Ron.

Lou

SkylinerRon, I thought I had every Ford manual from 1949 to 1963 but I'm missing one with color codes from 1957, what manual are you quoting (Form number and date)

SkylinerRon

49-59 Master Parts Catalog text volume, last revision.

I also have a Ditzler/Duco paint chip chart for 57.

Ron.

Lou

Thanks Ron, I have the first issue of the 49/59 Master Parts, I didn't know there was a revision.