Not getting good throttle response or WOT... Linkage? Edelbrock Carb?

Started by wilnutt, 2019-11-21 06:42

Previous topic - Next topic

wilnutt

Hello, I've been driving my '57 for a little while now with a slightly built 312 with a nice Mummert cam. It's not HP monster by any means, but it gets the job done. After driving another five or six Fords with stock Y-blocks that outperform mine, something has to be up. After further investigation, it appears that I'm not getting much action from the secondaries on the 500CFM Eddy I'm running. Has anyone ever had any linkage issues with Weber style carbs before? Does anyone know any tricks? I'd love to simply get a LOKAR cable driven pedal, but I have the Fordomatic, so know the kickdown rod and linkage is needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thomasso

Dumb question.  Have you checked if your linkage is adjusted for full throttle when pedal is floored?
57 E Code Black 76B   55 Willys Aero   63 Rivera   99 Lightning  1- XK8 Convs.   05 Vanden Plas  etc.

wilnutt

I went back and readjusted all of the linkage components. I can finally hear the secondaries opening and breathing, it still doesn't give me a nice torquey feeling though. It also has some hesitation now under WOT. I need to readjust the kickdown rod some more, as well.   

Wirenut

Wilnutt, I had a similar issue. I have a Lokar cable connected to the original accelerator pedal, when I had the pedal pressed all the way down it would not open the secondaries. I disconnected my cable and wired the carb linkage to full open and pressed the pedal to the floor and it was way off. I ended up disassembling my pedal and creating an offset in the backplate to allow more travel. By doing this I ended up with my accelerator pedal a little higher and it has taken me some time to get used to it but it cured my problem and made a big difference opening the back half that wasn't for quite some time.
Good luck resolving your issue.

SkylinerRon

Probably the pivot point on the e-carb is not allowing the accel rod enough travel to fully open the carb. Unhook the rod @ the carb and have someone hold the pedal to the floor to see

how much travel there is. You may have to redrill the carb lever for more travel.

Ron.