News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Door glass run channel

Started by rovohn, 2020-02-05 14:07

Previous topic - Next topic

rovohn

It looks like I need to replace the door glass run channel in the Ranchero, anyone have any recommendations,advice?
Should I get from DC or is there a bulk supplier?
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

Which channel are you talking about..the rigid one that is vertical and backed up to the vent window, or the somewhat flexible one that is top and backside....formed at the corner?
I got the length channel to bend my own from Classic Auto Parts in OKC. I also got the premade rigid one from them also. If your getting that far, get the seal for the backside of the vent window as well........they all get riveted together.
I understand Concourse has/had the preformed "flexible" channel with the fittings (snap-in clips) already installed. An old post mentioned they fit extremely well.
Another while your at it: the anti-rattlers on the door at the bottom of the window opening, and on the garnish rail. Classic has those as well, preformed. A note of caution there.......Do not install the anti-rattlers with the installed clips. The staples they use to attach them will eventually scratch the hell out of your window......ask me how I know! Use an epoxy glue instead.
If you elect to form your own flexible channels, somewhere on this forum is a few threads about how to do it. The basic idea is to form the bend leaving excess on both ends. much easier to then trim to the lengths needed, but look at your old one carefully where it ends up top at the vent window......the outer rolled edge (only) extends past the ridged channel and rides up on top of the ss rain gutter attached to the top of the vent window. I can get pics if you need.

I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

RICH MUISE

Another tip......if I remember correctly, all those channels and the brackets they attach to the door with use a hard to find (nowadays) thread size 12-28 ?
I drilled and retapped them 1/4-28. Much easier to find proper length/head style screws.

rovohn

Thanks Rich
John :canada
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

Ford Blue blood

I have found a way to "rebuild" the rigid channel that is part of the vent assembly.  I use the "loop" part of self sticky Velcro.  Clean the channel with a wire brush to get all the old stuff out.  Wipe down with lacquer thinner to remove any old glue and stuff.  Rinse with denatured alcohol and dry.  I cut the Velcro into strips, stick the bottom down first using the screen setting tool, then each side.  The excess on the side is then trimmed with a razor by running down the edge of the stainless trim.

The little tool is for setting the rivets for the back edge rubber.  If you are going that far you are welcome to borrow it to set them.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

RICH MUISE

Great way to rebuild those at low cost. Those pics clarify an earlier post you did on the fuzzies.
When I did my riveting, I put a piece of (5/16?)bar stock in my table vise. Left it sticking up so the channel could be put over it. The bar stock holds the rivets in place for setting. For setting, I used an odd-sized transfer punch. I used an odd size because the tip has to be ground off a little, and I didn't want to sacrifice a transfer punch I'd be likely to use. Transfer punches have that nice connical shape to the point that's perfect for rolling the rivet over. Trying to hold everything together, I found it easier to put the transfer punch in a drill press to get the rivets started. Once started, I took the punch and finished setting with a hammer. Or, you could make a nice tool like Bill's.

rovohn

Hey Rich
You wouldn't happen to have the part numbers for the channel from Classic Auto?
Thanks,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

I've got a list together except for the bulk channel. They list 10 different ones with no year to year reference, so I'm trying to figure out which one it is by process of elimination. I'll get back to ya.

rovohn

'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

I got it narrowed down to this one. I called Classic, but they had no references to what years the different channels they sell fit....odd. He also couldn't verify if the number I think it is had ss beads. Too lazy to go back and look I guess. Anyway, I took my garnish moulding off and measured mine, and the dimensions eliminated two of the three I was down to. This is a list of parts for the window channels as discussed previously. More that what you asked for, but may help others. These appear to be correct numbers to me looking at their on-line catalog, but no guarantees! Here's a link to what I was looking at. Window/door parts are before and after this page. https://www.classicautopartsonlinecatalog.com/Fullsize-Ford-and-Mercury/278/#

These are Classic's part numbers:
backedge of vent window rubber          P21-41160-145         19.95 pair  does 2 doors
anti rattler (door felt weatherstrip kit)  P21-41165-165          59.95 4 pc set for Ranchero or Custom, wagons, (no back window stuff) does 2 doors
front door division glass run                P21-41245-040           19.95 EACH  does 1 door
Bulk window channel                           U-21550-3C1              14.95 per 60" stick (you'll need 2)  1 stick does 1 door
I have two of the window channels (don't want to sell in case I ever convert back to roll-up back windows) at our other house. Our tenant is going to bring them here tonight. When I get them I'll be able to double check the dimensions and verify what I told you above. I don't remember seeing part numbers on them, but maybe.
Please, before you order the part numbers I gave you, use the link to check and see if they look right to you. With shipping costs to Canada, I don't want to be feeling guilty!!

rovohn

Wow,thanks Rich
Cheers, John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

Your welcome, John. Glad to help. I did get my extra channels from the old house last night, and I still think the number I gave you is what I used/have. The only difference I could see was the old lengths I have are 72", and the new listed length is 60", which is still adequate for making one. Maybe they realized this some time in the past and just eliminated what was inevitably going to be waste, at the same time keeping shipping from reaching oversize dimensions.

RICH MUISE

This is a pic of what I used. These have been sitting in a dusty shed for 10 years.

rovohn

Thanks again Rich,I ordered my stuff today from Classic, real nice people to deal with
Cheers,John :canada:
'57 Custom 300,302/C4
'72 Rover P6
'57 Sedan Delivery

RICH MUISE

:001:
Here's a pic of the "overhang" I was talking about when triming the leading end. Look closely at the top back of the ss rain gutter and you'll see the bead only extending out over the gutter.
Before I forget...when you get to bending the glass channel, the inside side fabric will not stretch around the bend like the rest of the materials (ss, rubber, etc). after you begin the bend, I think you will see th side pieces pulling away. snip them with scissors before it pulls too much away. Just glue the snipped ends back in place after bending is complete.