News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

A/C Vent Locations

Started by drof75, 2020-03-12 13:53

Previous topic - Next topic

drof75

Those of you that installed after market A/C (Vintage Air, etc.) units in your 57 may I see where you mounted your vents in your dash. I know cutting a hole in the dash may not be a good idea. I'm looking for ideas.

Richard
Dallas, TX

RICH MUISE

I've got a modified dash, and a big console and tons of wiring stuff most of you guys don't have, so my pics won't do you any good. I will say by the time you install the evaporator unit under the dash, there is not much room for a/c ducting up into/out of the dash anyways.
Somebody here did some nice venting on their dash, and is on their build thread. It may have been KYblueoval whose build thread is in the general discussion area titled "my Ranchero resurrection" or fdlcs (?) build thread in the projects board.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Below are photos of the dash Rich is referring to. What one usually sees are rectangular vents in the dash in the area of the radio, clock etc, and round vents on the far side of the glove compartment door, and the instrument cluster, as there is no room for a rectangular, or square vent in those areas. Can't find a good photo of the duct work that was made and welded into the body, but the last photo shows the duct on the left side of the dash/body. The vents I'm using are from Vintage Air.
If you need more information on what was done, just ask.

gasman826

These dashes were not made with any consideration for AC registers.  OEM AC vents were in the defroster vent area.  The add-ons put the unit under the dash.  I have spent hours looking for registers to incorporate into the dash for a appealing appearance.  I also went for the flat strip in the middle of the dash for registers because all the remaining dash is curved.  But this eliminates the real estate for the OEM heater controls, radio, and clock.  I never found an aftermarket register that would work with a curved/rounded dash.  One of my installs, the Raunch Wagon has the registers temporarily mounted on the bottom edge of the dash.  I have a spare dash that I am working on to fit some kind of flange to metal finish the registers for a more appealing appearance and to better funnel air on the occupants.

Ford Blue blood

Decided to build a center console, used a 64 - 66 T-bird center vent to get the air circulated.  As small as the cabin is in the Rancheros I figure there will be more then enough air moving with this rig.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

lalessi1

Here is my solution... not really an answer to your question, but I used a lot of Vintage air components.
Lynn

gasman826

The Custom dash uses two hoses into a fabricated boot for the center register and I added a left and right register.

SkylinerRon

The factory evaporator unit from a 60-64 Galaxie works very well (it is an underdash unit).

Ron B.

drof75

Thank you very much for the input. KyBlueOval I never thought about making a duct to fit the profile of where one would want the duct location to be. Your placement is close to what's in my head. Thanks again to every one.

Buz
Dallas, TX