News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

hood release

Started by glenmichael, 2020-03-28 10:06

Previous topic - Next topic

glenmichael

Hello Everyone, I spent a couple days trying to line up the stock hood on the 57 after about 6 attempts it is much better. All that closing and pulling on the release handle has me wondering how I will open this hood if that cable failed to work? Has anyone had to deal with that? Is that why I see hood pins on cars? 75 degrees and sunny last two days looking to get out of the garage and back on the road.

oldave57

It is possible to release the hood latch when the control cable is broken or disconnected.  According to the shop manual (I haven't had to do this, fortunately), you need to remove the left fresh air duct, and then you will have access to a 1.5" diameter rubber plug in the firewall that gives access to the latch which can then be moved with a pry tool (flat tip screwdriver).  Ford must have thought of this (or had some failures) when they hinged the hood from the front.

RICH MUISE

Good morning! Hood pins??.....who the heck would put hood pins on a '57??............oh wait, I did. Mine has kinda a racy look to it, so I figured the hood pins would fit right in with the look. imho they wouldn't look right on most '57s. I didn't do it because of a potential problem with the hood release though, I did it mainly to get my firewall cleaned off. I also don't have a heater on the firewall, and my wiper motor has been moved to inside the cowl.
There's been a few threads on how to open the hood if the cable breaks, might take a bit of searching to find the threads though. It's good you asked before you HAD to, because you can look at the firewall area under the hood latch to see the location of a large hole underneath the latch. From what I remember, it's a matter of poking around with a long screwdriver. I just don't remember what you do with the screwdriver once you get it where it's suppose to be. I'm guessing a twist. Somebody with a better memory than mine will hopefully chime in.
Rich
edit: Dave beat me to it.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

You can also get to it from under the car on the passenger side with a long probe.  Don't need to ask how I know this.......
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

Frankenstein57

Seems I remember guys were installing an emergency wire or cable, as an option.

glenmichael

Under the Hood again, I now remember installing that hood release plug and others after I cleaned up the firewall but never gave it a second thought. Maybe I have to much time with this Lock-down but I could not help myself, I removed the drivers side fresh air vent easy enough, could not see the plug with a flashlight so reaching through the air opening I could feel the plug, figured that was far enough. I now know what the answer is. I have always found good help here Thanks again.. I just read about the back up cable, I may look at that Idea my arm is still sore from the first attempt.. Thanks

Tom S

Quote from: Ford Blue blood on 2020-03-29 07:36
You can also get to it from under the car on the passenger side with a long probe.  Don't need to ask how I know this.......
This does not look like it's easy ... or fun. : (