News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Mailorder Paint?

Started by John Palmer, 2020-05-10 19:47

Previous topic - Next topic

John Palmer

So I have been a strong supporter of supporting your local paint store and buying your autobody supplies locally.  I do maybe one decent sized paint project each year, so I'm not a big account for the paint store.  I always appreciate their advice and guidance.  But, I don't think I can afford the price any longer.

I bought a couple of tubes of 3M Panel Bond and they were over $60 a tube (pair of tubes A and B) compared to under $40 for the same thing on the web.  I used the 3M Panel Bond on some floor pans and was very pleased with the job.  I will be using the 3M Panel Bond to seal my drip rails after I get the roof back from blast.

So here's my question, has anyone had hands on experience with TCP paint in San Diego, or SMI.  These two stores seem like the heavy hitters.  How about Summit or Eastwood?  I'm currently repainting an early Bronco, I'm going to be purchasing a gallon of Epoxy Primer, a gallon of High Build Primer, and a gallon of single stage urethane for my top coat.  I will also be buying a quart of Wimbledon White (roof), and a quart of semi gloss Parchment for the interior.

I want to use quality product, but it also needs to be value based.  Looking for a reasonably priced dealer selling quality paint products.

Any advice is appreciated.

John

RICH MUISE

On my next paint job, I will be ordering at least the clear coat online. As long as you're familiar with the brand, should be no problem. I have a stack of receipts from my local shop, but I sure don't get the discount the pros do, so I won't feel too bad about it. Basecoat, if ya gotta match something, I'd go with a local.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

Ford Blue blood

Most any and all paint representatives will ask you, if you have a problem, "did you use our system from the bottom up"?  Been my experience talking with and watching pros and armatures alike that when there are paint issues many of them come back to not using the same system.

Now, having said that, I have mixed systems for years when doing little jobs, small parts, base for something that is yard tool stuff, that kind of miscellaneous junk with no serious ills.  My paint guy has told me that of the four paint manufacturers most all wholesale various "brands".

He did tell me that if you want "trouble free" application and results use the same system from top to bottom.  Good friend (57 Ford guy, no computers) has used mail order paint for years and has had great results with his stuff.  He does order bottom to top from them (Eastwood).
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

57imposter

A few years ago, I bought Epoxy primer from Summitt. it was  1:1 mix so I actually received 2 one gallon cans. Can't remember the price but it was a fraction of what DP-90 was. I eventually turned the job over to a first rate local painter and he said he would not shoot it until he had checked it out. He came back and said everything he could said that it was fine and he used it with PPG single stage top coat. I sold the truck locally and the paint looks as good today as when I sold it.
I found another good option when I shot my 58. I bought Valspar, single stage, from a local small paint store and it was approx 50% less than PPG. It has also held up well.

Oldmics

Been about 6 years since I finished the Edsel. I used TCP Global for all of the materials for that paint job.

Did purchase some clear coat from them about 3 years ago.

They were easy to deal with. Cant say nothing but good things about them.

I would use them again.

Oldmics

mustang6984

Friend of mine did a Concurs resto on a ;70 Boss...used paint from an on-line company...no one could tell...he said he spent 50% less than had he bought it from the local shop. That was around 18 years ago. Can't remember which place it was now.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

John Palmer

Thank you all for sharing your experience. 

Now back to sanding, seam sealing, aligning, and the 100 other things necessary during paint prep.