News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Radio and clock delete panels

Started by 59meteor, 2020-07-07 22:53

Previous topic - Next topic

59meteor

In keeping with the low buck sleeper look, I am installing factory clock and heater delete plates in my dashboard. I already have both of the plastic delete plates, but unsure how they were attached from the factory. Each panel has 2 round "pegs", which I am assuming used a steel speednut or self tapping nut that digs into the posts, but not certain. If that is the case, anybody know where to obtain these nuts? The pegs on the radio plate are larger than the pegs for the clock plate.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

djfordmanjack

They were rectangular self locking spring clips (plates) with a hole in the middle and some slots along the hole, so they make little spring claws catching on the plastic studs. it's a terrible design, imho. once on, they are very difficult to get off from behind the dash, but yet they cannot really get properly fastened and the inserts will move or rattle. they need to get pryed off with some sort of screwdriver.
maybe you can just glue on some screws with epoxy glue or jb weld and use regular nuts. Maybe you can simply cut threads on the plastic studs.

KYBlueOval

I just sold a pair of these delete plates, and they have the clips described by DJ.  I have not shipped yet, can take a photo of the clips if that will help.
Let me know.
John

hiball3985

I helped a friend with his a few years ago and we glued/tacked them in place with a goop they make for holding things in place for earthquakes, sorry don't recall the name of the product. They've held with no problem and should be easy to remove in the future if needed. Those clips are a PITA.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

Marc

any local hardware should carry these little nuts which will cut their own threads on the studs and at least you can get a wrench on them if you need to remove.

lalessi1

I ground a couple of machine screw heads flat and epoxied them on the on the back of the block off plates as studs. I then made a couple of flat U-shape brackets for the backside. Works great. This is after I broke off one of the studs with a thread cutting nut.
Lynn

FiveSevenLiter

I will go check in our body shop and let you know.
Terry
:canada:
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

rmk57

When I bought my original radio plate it one left on it that I never used. I ended up making small rubber press fit donuts. Holds them nice and firm.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

djfordmanjack

great idea! snug fit rubber hose, cut to length would probably work great as well. I'll have to remember that next time ! :003:

mustang6984

There is this stuff called "rubber glue". Comes in a brown bottle with a brush applicator in the lid. When you apply the glue it is a like a wet elastic goo is the best way to describe it. Once it cures (about 1 to 12 hours depending on how thick of course) NOTHING moves. But...down the road if you want to remove what you had glued together...just peel apart, then you can literally rub away the glue and your ready-to move forward. Not only would this bond well...it also, being rubber, would eliminate that annoying rattle.
I think it comes from Elmers, not sure, my bottle us in Port Angeles, I am in Branson.   :006:
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

59meteor

Some good ideas, all seem more convenient than the factory spring washers. I will let you know which way I decide to go. Thanks, all.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.