News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Engine original or???

Started by Lakeland66, 2020-10-02 21:15

Previous topic - Next topic

Lakeland66

Hi All,
Was just wondering if there is a way to ID my Y-block while it is still in the car. Do not know if it is original to the car or not.
Thank you for any help.

Marc

By checking the block numbers, and other clues like seeing if there's a dot on the crank flange, or pulling the oil pan and checking the main cap numbers, you can determine if it's a 272, 292 or 312. There are no serial numbers or other markings though that would link that block to your car. So you can determine if the engine matches what's stamped on your data plate but there's really no way to know if the engine was replaced at some time by another of the same displacement.

Lakeland66

djfordmanjack

In addition to what has been said that Y blocks have no VIN , BUT they may have a production date stamped, like many later Ford engines. I don't know if that holds true on a 1957 Y block , but this early 1960s 292 truck block I have here has it on the foremost drivers side boss, just below the left cylinder deck. I believe that the code 21E means May, 1st 1962. Please somebody correct me if I am wrong.

djfordmanjack

I just went out and chekced the engine in my 57 wagon. It doesn't have the date stamp on the boss mentioned before, but up in front of the valley cover and nxt to the timing cover. I don't know how to decode this. but the '7' inbetween might be a good hint at 1957 yom.

SkylinerRon

Those stampings were sometimes were put on by Ford rebuilders.

They could also be up by the valley pan.

Ron.