News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

FE cam timing

Started by Fabulous50s, 2021-05-21 15:55

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabulous50s

Has anyone played with the cam timing on their FE? I've got a Cloyes double roller chain that allows 6 degrees either way from straight up. I'm looking for all the bottom end I can get. Stock hydraulic cam. I'm tempted to go 2 or 4 degrees advanced, but really have nothing to go on.

Thanks!
Taylor
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

59meteor

I have moved the cam timing around on my 428 FE drag cars, never tried it with a stock engine. Unless your engine was a recent rebuild, or had a recent timing chain replacement, chances are the timing chain is likely stretched at least 4 to 6 degrees, so would likely help a bit. Moving the cam around can also change the piston to valve clearance, but with a mild cam, should be of no concern.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

Fabulous50s

Yes, I've completly rebuilt the engine. It's still on the engine stand. .030 over bore to clean up taper, .010 ground crank due to seized oil pump and spun bearings and 3 NOS rods etc. Basically bringing it back to stock.

The link belt chain was quite slack.

Just wondering it 2 degrees advance would yield any benefit since it's easy to do. Or just set it straight up and not overthink it.
Taylor....north of ordinary!

59 Galaxie 500 Town Sedan, 352 2-speed Ford-O-Matic.. changing to 3+O/D Granada Toploader.

59meteor

You could try it, but I really doubt it would make any difference, especially since it`s a fresh rebuild, you would have nothing to compare it against. The only real way to know if it does anything , positively, or negatively, would be on a dyno or dragstrip, doing a A-B-A back to back comparison, but I really doubt that you would want to get involved in all work.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

lalessi1

I would set it up straight and not worry about advancing the cam since the engine is stock.
Lynn