Does anyone on the Forum have a '59 Retract.?I'd like to ask a couple of?+ Photo

Started by KYBlueOval, 2020-12-17 12:58

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I have a couple of question for any Forum members that have a "59 Retractable. The '57 and '58 Retractables might be the same regarding these two questions, but I do not know if all three years are the same regarding these questions.

1) Did '59 Retractables have a glove box light? There was a glove box light on E-bay recently and the listing said it was removed from a '59 Retractable. I'd like to find one, if in fact, that is correct.

2) When the Tailgate on a Ranchero is in the closed position, the lower part of the support arms rests on a rubber bumper screwed into the Tailgate Jam. I've been told that this rubber bumper is essentially the same as the lower bumper on Retractable doors.This Retractable bumper would be just above the rocker panel, and forward of the quarter panel.
Based on the information I was given, I purchased a pair of the bumpers, as I just described, for a Retractable.
Rather than having a screw that goes through them, to secure them, these bumpers must slip over a special screw, or stud of some description.
I'd like to find out what that screw looks like so I can find a pair of the screws or make a pair.
This is all minor stuff, but the devil is in the details .
Thanks in advance for any replies and help.
John

12/18/20  I found a photo of the glove box light I described above.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aZgAAOSwhodfwxHO/s-l1600.jpg

lalessi1

I tried to look in the parts book and I saw a bumper 358939-S with an associated screw 32930-S. The screw is a "no. 8 x 5/8 binding head sheet metal screw". This is a WAG and a shot in the dark. This is not a Ranchero obviously but there wasn't one in the book... Good luck!
Lynn

KYBlueOval

Lynn, thanks for the research and information. The Part number for the rubber bumper is spot on. That is what I ordered. I'm not sure if I know what a "binding head" sheet metal screw looks like.

Hopefully someone can post a photo of the screw. I envision the screw to look somewhat like a double headed nail, with the rubber bumper slipping over the top head.
Thanks again, and Merry Christmas
John

mustang6984

If they are the same as a '57, Alvin is just finishing up his...
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

KYBlueOval

djfordmanjack

binding head

though a #8 would have to be a pointed sheetmetal screw , I assume.

dgasman

Yes it?s just a screw that holds it on . Here is a pic of a original bumper and screw.
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

KYBlueOval

Well I think your photo explains a lot.
The rubber bumpers I received have only one hole. From what I see in the first picture the rubber bumper has a large hole at the top and a smaller hole at the bottom, where I assume the screw goes through to mount it. Or is it the other way around.........large hole against the jam?

Looking at what was sent to me, with only one hole, I imagined that the screw looked something like a double headed nail. The screw would go in as far as the first head, and the rubber bumper would slip over the second head.
Thanks
John

dgasman

Yes the hole tappers  and the large end is towards the outside small end towards the body . The screw was not bottomed out as you can see in the picture.
The picture is from the bumpers on my wagon and they are original to the wagon . When I took them off I left them the same way as removed , but I looked at my Ranchero that still has its original bumpers on and they are installed  the other way ......  so maybe I am no help lol....

HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

KYBlueOval

You have been a great help. Thank you !
The bumpers I received are not tapered anywhere.......inside or outside.
With the bumpers I received being open only on one end, I think I'll make a two headed bolt that the bumper can be forced over. There is easy access to get to the back to get a nut on. We'll see if it works as I envision it.
Thanks again
John