News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

BAC BAR

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-12-21 19:35

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

All the years I have had and been messing with 57 fords  I never paid any attention  to this. I guess  it must be time for a dumb a$$ ?.  In some of my books it lists BAC & BAR for the same car like my convertable,  what do these letters represent ?  Thanks Alvin

lalessi1

Just guessing... BA is for a car made in the 50's, the prefix for the part numbers??? C is for convertible, R is for retractable??? I really have no idea but this sounds good...
Lynn

alvin stadel

That sounds like a good answer, however  I see these Letters used on just about all models  be it a convert, station wagon or any of the rest.   It shows up a lot in the 57 trim book as a prefix.  You  are right about the BA = 50's cars.

RICH MUISE

I guess I hadn't noticed the C and Rs. I always thought if it was a 57 part, the number would start with BA7
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KULTULZ

Exactly which book are you referring to, FORD PARTS TEXT or an information text?

A 1957 FORD PN will usually have a prefix of B7A or possibly B7AZ.

They sound familiar but my memory (what it is) will not pull it up.

MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

RICH MUISE

yeh, B7A, not the BA7 I mistyped.

alvin stadel

I did some more looking this afternoon,  The book that started my interest  in this is  the Body, Trim & sealant assembly manual.  I also found that BAN 40 = the T-bird. so  maybe  the BAC & BAR represent the Fairlane series and the custom series, not sure.

KULTULZ

Quote from: alvin stadel on 2020-12-22 19:45

I did some more looking this afternoon,  The book that started my interest  in this is  the Body, Trim & sealant assembly manual.  I also found that BAN 40 = the T-bird. so  maybe  the BAC & BAR represent the Fairlane series and the custom series, not sure.

... hmmpf ...

40 is the BODY STYLE CODE for the 55/57 BIRD.

I don't have the MANUAL you are describing (wish I did). This has me curious. No further explanation of BAC and/or BAR in that MANUAL?.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

RICH MUISE

I have that manual someplace, I'll take a look for code info when I have a chance. For me, building an almost everything modified car, the trim and sealant manual was more useful than the shop manual. It's more about car body assembly rather than repairs/servicing stuff I no longer had. I'm pretty sure it's reproduced. I think I got mine at classic auto parts in OKC.

KULTULZ

Quote from: RICH MUISE on 2020-12-23 07:42

I have that manual someplace, I'll take a look for code info when I have a chance. For me, building an almost everything modified car, the trim and sealant manual was more useful than the shop manual. It's more about car body assembly rather than repairs/servicing stuff I no longer had. I'm pretty sure it's reproduced. I think I got mine at classic auto parts in OKC.

Yeah, if you want exact detail, that and other specialty manuals are a must.

When you have time. This has me really curious.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

KULTULZ

I think I figured it our somewhat. The PREFIX seems to be on an INSTRUCTION SHEET to ID the sheet to a particular part/accessory usage. It is either a INSTRUCTION SHEET ID NO or a PUBLICATION NO.

Look at the top of the sheet in the below ILL -

So BAC must refer the sheet to FORD, BAN to BIRD.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960