News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

51A rear seat bottom

Started by alvin stadel, 2020-12-30 20:46

Previous topic - Next topic

alvin stadel

Does anyone know the depth of the back seat bottom for a 57 retractable? I put everything together  today before  it goes to get upholstery. The seat bottom hangs over the floor support by about 11/2 in.  I don't think this is right as the front of seat in my 2dht and convert go straight down flush with the floor support.  I may have kept the wrong bottom when I sold all my parts a while back.

oldave57

Hello Alvin,

I think your rear seat is the correct one for the Skyliner.  My 57 Skyliner rear seat overhangs the support by about 2.5", so you should be good to go with the upholstery project.  I know that the rear seat dimensions were changed from the 2-door HT to the Skyliner to accommodate the need to shorten up the passenger space a bit due to the compromises required for the folding roof. 

Good Luck,
Dave

alvin stadel

Thank you Dave, you just made my day. Happy New Year to you and your family. Take care, Alvin

brushwolf

I read somewhere that the retractable and convertible had the same rear seat frame dimensions, although the retractable upper was positioned a little more vertically for the added trunk space as mentioned.

Know if this is the case that they are in fact the same upper and lower seat frames, since you have both a retractable and convertible?  And if there is any difference is it just the mounting provisions, not length or height?

My convertible seat springs and parts of the seat perimeter frames were beyond saving, but I painstakingly made replacements using parts and springs from well-preserved 4 door seats since I had them.  Since then I have acquired retractable parts cars with a lot better seats and figured maybe I can just use the retractable rear seats in the convertible if I wanted to do so.

51 Victoria
55 Crown Victoria
55 Dodge Royal 2 Dr hdtp
56 Mercury Montclair 2 dr hdtp
57 Ford Sunliner
57 Ford Skyliner
57 Chev Bel Air 2 dr hdtp
57 Dodge Custom Royal 2 dr hdtp (factory hemi)
58 Ford Skyliner
58 Fairlane 500 4 dr
59 Thunderbird
60 Impala 2 dr hdtp
61 Galaxie Sunliner
62 Thunderbird