News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Clutch Pedal Helper Spring Adjustment

Started by slopokpete, 2021-01-07 14:06

Previous topic - Next topic

slopokpete

My pedal assembly was missing the clutch pedal helper spring.  I rounded up a spring and was wondering if anybody had any advice as how to properly make the adjustment?

Thanks
Jeff

59meteor

Not sure if 57 is the same, but on my 59, the is a threaded eyebolt that connects to the pedal bracket and the spring. Do you have an eyebolt on your car?
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

First, it would be helpful if one identifies the year of the car as it seems discussion(s) here cover 1957 to 1959 model runs and with possible period parts exchanges.

The 57 is a little different from the late 1958/59 FORD. i believe the spring being discussed is only adjusted for proper pedal return and height retention. The stop bumper (PN 7583) has to be in good condition to arrive at proper pedal height. The 1957 and early 1958 has a differing way of coming to proper pedal/linkage adjustment as to late 1958/59.

See attached. Hope it shows correctly. The ADJ PROCEDURE shown is from an early 1958 FORD SHOP MANUAL so will be correct for a 1957 if all parts are model year correct.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

59meteor

Those diagrams are how recall it, my 57s had a solid rod from the clutch pedal to the Z bar/bellcrank, with clutch adjustment done on the lower rod, from the bell crank to clutch fork, and my 59 has a threaded rod from the pedal to the bellcrank , with a solid rod to the fork. The threaded eye bolt for the clutch pedal assist/overcenter spring looks the same for both styles. I never found any adjustment specifications or instructions for adjusting the spring, I just adjusted mine so the pedal would 'pop" back up to the rubber bump stop.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

QuoteI just adjusted mine so the pedal would 'pop" back up to the rubber bump stop.

CORRECT (IMO).

One also has to ensure all components/bushings (pedal and crossbar) are within proper tolerances before arriving @ proper adjustment/operation.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

slopokpete

Thanks for your help.  Sorry I didn?t mention my project car is 1957 Ranchero.  I think you have answered my question.
I?ll adjust the threaded eye bolt for a good pedal return.

Jeff