News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Convertible frame diffrences?

Started by eberhama, 2008-10-09 15:48

Previous topic - Next topic

eberhama

When my I bought my convertible, it was(is) quite a mess. The P/O said that it had been hit in the front(no evidence of that), and he was trying to "fix" it. What I have now, is a convertible frame that is cut off at the firewall, and the vert body is on a rolling 500 4dr frame. I did end up buying a front frame stub from another '57, that was cut off years ago to save the P/S set-up, and my plan was to splice them together. In talking with people, and reading online, it appears there is no safe way to do this that won't be at least moderately noticable. My new plan is to move the convert X-member over to yet another 4dr. 500 frame. So my question is this: Is there any othe diffrences between the convert/non-convert frame?(besides the X) Length? width? body mounts? gastank mounting? important holes? anything I should be aware of? TIA, Matt

Lou

Ok from the top. I assume you are spreaking of a soft top convertible model 76B and not a Reatcakable model 51A. All Fairlane and Fairlane 500 cars except the retrackable share the same basic frame, the Convertible uses this same frame with a "X" member added to it. The frames are the same for 1957, 1958, & 1959

eberhama

Yes, its a soft top, sorry. There aren't any extra body mounts or anything?

Lou

The Ford Frame book shows the same 12 mounting places on all models including the convertible.

eberhama

Cool, that should make the swap pretty straight forward. Thanks for the info, Lou.