News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Edsel steering box

Started by rmk57, 2021-03-03 18:00

Previous topic - Next topic

rmk57

I found this on my local Craigslist and was wondering if it would bolt in. It looks like the same bolt pattern and the seller says he has the pitman arm for it.

One thing I noticed is it must have had a rag joint? not sure. I don't mind modifying my column for a rag joint or steering universal joint, actually I'd prefer it rather than long shaft.

https://victoria.craigslist.org/pts/d/mill-bay-ford-edsal-steering-box/7283445504.html
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

Frankenstein57

Why not, the Edsel were the same cars, both the short and long wheelbases.

Ford Blue blood

Ranger and Pacer were on Ford chassis, Corsair and Citation were on Mercury chassis.  No idea if the Ford and Mercury steering boxes were the same.
Certfied Ford nut, Bill
2016 F150 XLT Sport
2016 Focus (wife's car)
2008 Shelby GT500
57 Ranchero
36 Chevy 351C/FMX/8"/M II

59meteor

Randy, I have no idea if the Edsels came with a rag joint from the factory or not, hopefully somebody didn`t just chop off the shaft for whatever reason. Who knows whats under that old masking tape. Also I would be concerned if you would be able to find a pitman arm, if it is different from your 57 unit. If your old box is sloppy, I would give Steering Solutions in Port Kells (Surrey BC) a call. I have had him rebuilt 2 steering boxes for me, one in my old 74 F350, as well as a box for my 59, very happy with the work he did, both drove great afterwards. Besides, the owners name is Randy, so how can you go wrong? :003:
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KULTULZ

Trouble with the EDSEL is it was produced for three model years (58-60) and only the 58 was built on either a FORD or MERC chassis. Also, all EDSEL PARTS INFO is contained in an EDSEL MPC only, so any crossing must be done with the EDSEL MPC or hope that the parts can be found correctly in the period FORD and/or MERC MPC.

AJ-3580 is a CASTING ID NO for the sector shaft cover only. It will not positively ID a box assy.

The seller should be able to show exactly what the box is from.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

KULTULZ

UPDATE -

The 1959 MERC went to a short input shaft and coupling. The 1959 FORD kept the long input shaft design.
MEL DIVISION - 1958-1960

MERCURY - EDSEL - LINCOLN

rmk57

I hadnt noticed there were replies on this topic. There were two things that steered  :003: me away from buying it. One was the coarse spline on the input shaft, I've never seen spline like

that as most Fords have a 30 or 36, this one had around 12 or so. Second was the pitman arm he found looked nothing like the one on my 57. More or less flat, without the bend the 57 has.

Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429