News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Keys

Started by 3ontheTree, 2021-04-05 14:09

Previous topic - Next topic

3ontheTree

I'm trying to have an ignition key made for the '57 we bought.  It came with one that works (#1 in the picture).  There is another key on the ring that looks very close that doesn't work (#2).  It goes in, but doesn't turn.  I finally found a place in town that would cut from a blank if I can find one (most want to only use their own blanks).  I've been looking at blanks and it got me wondering why my working key is so cool looking.  Is it a special addition or something?  Any key history experts out there?

djfordmanjack

I believe the gold plated ones were dealership accessories or dealer giveaways. Nice to have ! usually the plain Ford script key with the squarish head is for ignition and the round one locks the doors/trunk/gate.

your#2 could be for the glove box.

dgasman

Yes the cool key is an accessory key , the were a few different ones and you can still find them on eBay.
Here is a picture of one other style
HAPPY MOTORING
dgasman

3ontheTree

Thanks guys! 

abe_lugo

Most locksmiths should have basic blanks to get you a key made.  It is usually ignition and door locks.  Then trunk and glovebox.
Abe      Los Angeles, CA  IN Los Angeles proper. 90008

mustang6984

I have a fancy one for the '49 Ford P/U too. Not sure where Bob got it...but it is kinda neat! Round one is for the trunk and the glove box.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker

hiball3985

Quote from: djfordmanjack on 2021-04-05 14:56
I believe the gold plated ones were dealership accessories or dealer giveaways. Nice to have ! usually the plain Ford script key with the squarish head is for ignition and the round one locks the doors/trunk/gate.

your#2 could be for the glove box.
G, door/ignition is square, glove box/trunk round.
JIM:
HAPPY HOUR FOR ME IS A GOOD NAP
The universe is made up of electrons, protons, neutrons and morons.
1957 Ranchero
1960 F100 Panel
1966 Mustang

djfordmanjack

Jim, well yes and know. We had that discussion before. I forgot to mention, that my knowledge is only about wagons. pssgr cars are different from wagons, because obviously if you have access to the tail gate lock, you can also get inside the car.
Now I am puzzled again, I will have to check. I am getting old...haha
But I hardly ever lock my 57CS. and haven't had it to a show or place where it needed locked in over 2 years....

BP57CUSTOM

Keys for older cars are getting hard to get. I recently had to order new blanks for a 67 Firebird off ebay. No hardware or auto stores had blanks for it.
Barry
1957 Custom 300
1965 Mustang GT
8N ford Tractor