News:

Check out the newsletters posted at our main club site:  http://57fordsforever.com

Main Menu

Need some help finding a rare part from the experts!

Started by 3ontheTree, 2021-07-22 14:05

Previous topic - Next topic

3ontheTree

Full disclosure:  This is about our other Fairlane, a 1963....not our 1957..or our 1964.  Please don't give me the boot! 

I'm in trouble.  As a Father's Day gift to my husband, I took the transmission from our 1963 Fairlane to a reputable shop to have new seals put in so he could drive it and give the 98 year old lady we got it from a ride like we promised.  Long story short, the transmission dipstick was in the transmission when it went to the shop (have a picture), but did not come home with it.  The transmission shop says they took it out of the transmission as they unloaded it from my truck bed and put it back in my truck bed.  It is not there.  I need to find another dipstick.  I've spent what feels like hours trying to locate one and I'm hoping someone here can help me.  Apparently it's a rare part.

The car is a 1964 with the original 221 (V8) and a 2 speed Fordomatic transmission.  Does anyone have any idea where I can find one?  I am desperate!!! 

Rancher

I would suggest, as a temporary fix, until the real McCoy is located...
Find a stick that seals into/over the filler tube well enough.
Mark it approximately at transmission pan's gasket height.
Just below that mark should be close enough for full hot level.

Meanwhile the hunt can go on.

Not sure about transmission's venting requirements? A newer stick's cap that seals 100% vacuum tight to the filler tube should maybe be drilled or notched to vent?

gasman826

FATSCO Transmission or Northwest Transmission...both have websites and both specialize in earlier, new and some used transmission parts.  FATSCO has been very helpful.  In a pinch, a new, LOKAR universal dipstick would be a temporary solution.

RICH MUISE

We're all Ford lovers here....and good on you for being what sounds like a great "better half"!
I'm confused:
"Full disclosure:  This is about our other Fairlane, a 1963....not our 1957..or our 1964.  Please don't give me the boot!"
"The car is a 1964 with the original 221 (V8) and a 2 speed Fordomatic transmission. "
I used a Lokar like Gary suggested, but my car is nowhere near oem
Possibly, if you give us your city location, someone can direct you to a local salvage yard. Or try Bob Owens @ Owens Salvage, in Wellington, Texas. Bob is a trusted good guy.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

3ontheTree

Fastco for the win!!!  I can't believe it!  Thank you so much!

Sorry for the typo...we have too many Fairlanes...lol.  This one happens to be a 1963.  We do have a 1964 as well...