Calling Portland Oregon Forum Members. I'll be there Mid October

Started by KYBlueOval, 2021-08-25 19:29

Previous topic - Next topic

KYBlueOval

I'm traveling to Portland  in mid October for a wedding at "Cathedral Bridge". Would like find out from locals, what to see what to do with my free time. Where not to go etc.

And, I'm always looking for Ranchero parts.

Thanks
John

RICH MUISE

driving or flying?  Great time of the year for a long roadtrip.
I can do this, I can do this, I, well, maybe

KYBlueOval

Rich, we'll be flying. Would like to do an extended road trip, but things like Covid keep getting in the way. As it stands now, we'll be wearing masks at this wedding.
We have another wedding to attend two weeks later, closer to home, but still out of town.
Just returned from a wedding in Detroit. Got the see/witness 4-5 hours of The Woodward Are Dream Cruise this past Saturday. Neat event, saw one '57 Ford and witnessed a lot of burn outs on Woodward Ave.
John

gasman826

That goes on for more than a week...not as intensely but still goes on.

59meteor

While you are around Portland, I would suggest visiting the All American Classics wrecking yard just across the river, in Vancouver Washington. They have over 1000 old cars, I last went there a couple of years ago, I don't recall how many 57 Fords they have in the yard, but when I was there last, they had over a dozen 59 Fords in stock. Not sure if the Museum of Speed in Wilsonville, just South of Portland was always a must visit when I was in the area. Also, if you are into aircraft, the Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum in McMinnville is great. Very interesting place, they have Howard Hughes "Spruce Goose" on display inside. And if you are into drag racing, PIR and Woodburn Dragstrip may still be running at that time. A couple hours South of Portland, along the scenic Oregon Coast route, is another aircraft museum in Tillimook, the Tillimook Dairy factory has tours of their ice cream and cheese plants. Also down around central Oregon, is the MoPar shop where the TV show " Graveyard Carz" is filmed.
1959 Meteor 2 door sedan , 428 Cobra Jet 4 speed. Been drag racing Fords (mostly FEs) 47 years and counting.
Previous 50s Fords include 57 Custom 4 door, 2 57 Ford Sedan Deliveries, 59  Country Sedan, and as a 9 year old, fell in love with the family 58 2 door Ranch Wagon.

KYBlueOval

Thank you for the reply. Just the type information I was hoping to get.
John

FiveSevenLiter

Rory must have been following me around Oregon.  All good spots.  Last time I was there I took the old highway south of Portland to Oregon City on the south end of Portland.  (It was the end of the Oregon Trail.)  There are a couple collector car dealers along the way, Dennie Aldridge Motorsports is there, big time Ford speed shop, Steve's Auto Restoration is also there.  Lots of craft brewers.  Enjoy it and be prepared to see the unhousables ( aka homeless).
1957 Custom 300 - since 2012
1951 Mercury M3 - since 2004
1951 Ford F1 - since 1987
1950 Ford Tudor - since 2019
2009 Sport Trac Adrenalin

rmk57

Not car related but the town of Newport is worth checking out. The old section has great seafood restaurants, brew pubs, curio shops and is an active fishing village. There is also a pretty good aquarium and lighthouses a short drive away.  In October if your going to the coast bring a heavy jacket it can a bit chilly on the beach.
Randy

1957 Ford Custom
1970 Boss 429

KYBlueOval

1930artdeco

We drove up to portland in July to see the family. I 'think' the speed museum is closed in Wilsonville. I always seem to look for it and did not see it this trip so double check. The yard in Vancouver only has one or two 57's left in the yard. They have/had a sun dizzy tester machine there for $300 that I wanted really really badly. No place to stuff it in either the car or the garage right now. Portland is the land of restaurants and food trucks, so bring an appetite. Some other ideas are: Powells book store (three levels of books and the store takes up a whole block), Hwy 84 up the gorge to see the Columbia river outlook and Multnomah falls, Bonneville dam.

Mike
1930 Model A Townsedan
1957 Country Sedan

mustang6984

I you go to Portland...be out of the downtown area by dark. Powell's is indeed a book lovers destination site! You will leave poorer cash-wise...but wealthy in books!
Hwy 84 is a camera toter's delight! Go slow...take advantage of every turn out...well worth taking the time.
Nothing is impossible...
The word it's self says I'M POSSIBLE  (Audrey Hepburn)
2 '57 Ford Couriers AND '57 Fairlane
3 Mustangs, '69 fastback-'84 SVO-'88 Saleen Convertible
'49 Ford P/U
'50 Dodge P/U
'82 RX-7
'65 Chrysler New Yorker